Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Abandoned House

• This topic has 24 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by oldey.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

An abandoned house in Quang Tri Province, Vietnam. The reference photo was taken from the back of a 5 ton Army Truck flying down the road. I adjusted the angle of the house and its location for this painting. I will make at least one more pass at this in a day or two. C&C Welcome. Gary

Abandoned House – 6×8 Acrylics on Gessobord
    [ATTACH]871906[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Aussiesrus

An interesting variety of greens which harmonize nicely with the yellow ochre.
        Perhaps soften those dark values on the far left. A hint of blue in the distance may add more depth. Just a thought.

A nice arrangement of buildings & lovely harmony, once again, Gary, Well Done !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
        https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
        I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Lovely! Good composition and values.

Christel

Ohiohawk97

Excellent job painting the houses. I love the detail in the two up front and the light is captured beautifully The leaves on those plants in back of the houses are a wonderful element and the background trees and grasses support the elements nicely. A wonderful piece to look at Gary.

Wes

Dorrart

I like it a lot. The colors and brushwork are so intense, I can feel heat and humidity in the scene. Very nice.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Thanks Michael. I will (and should) add a little atmosphere by blueing & graying the distant trees.

Thanks Tuscanny. It was to get the value contrasts that I changed the location of the house.

Thanks Wes. The house and attachment were so scruffy, easy to overdo in paint. Gary

Thanks David. Vietnam certainly had its share of heat and humidity.

Thanks again to all. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

ntl

I especially like the sky–it was the first thing that caught my eye. Done differently, of course it would change the feeling depicted here. Well done.

kentiessen

Given your speed in shooting this scene and recreating it from long ago, it’s great!
                        I second Ntl’s praise of the sky- it is brilliant, soft, and clean in excellent contrast to the base plane. The foliage is well done with that atmosphere tweak.

The two structures compete a bit, I feel. Lowering the far roof value would be a simple adjustment if you choose.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Reddyman

Gary

I agree that this is a really super piece… I like the sky as well and the varied greens are beautifully rendered.
                            Nice perspective and that building at the back really creates depth and of course balance.
                            John :)

Thanks ntl. I must admit to always fighting with skies and usually losing.

Thanks Ken. I added the second house to serve as a balance as John mentioned. I did not like it and took it out for the time. I added the reference photo below. You can see that I only used it as a launch point.

Thanks John. I am still working on what to do with the left side. This may take a few more passes. Being able to make short turn around adjustments is one of the things that I like about acrylics.

Thanks Gary

“French Plantation”
                            [ATTACH]871939[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Skyenorth

Lovely painting Gary, I love the intense sunshine in this one!

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                Winston Churchill.

Thanks Caroline. I might have oversold the sunshine though the sweltering heat was common in all but monsoon season. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

VeronicaF

second one is my fav too

love them both, I love the feeling and the colours too

You are the driving force behind achieving your special destiny.

Veronica
                                    http://veronicasart.blogspot.com/

Thanks Veronica. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dorrart

I like your painterly interpretation of the reference. Good use of the photo.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.