Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions John Singer Sargent

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

Currently my favorite painter of all time. In my world he’s up there with Leonardo, Rembrandt, and Vermeer. THEY could have learned from Sargent, as he undoubtedly learned from them; as Mozart learned from Bach.

Sargent is the Mozart of the canvas for me. Not that they were contemporary of course. Totally different periods, schools, and media.
        But to me they are stylistically similar.
        Mozart gives your ear exactly what it wants and needs to hear, as the music unfolds.
        Singer Sargent does the same with your eye.

I’ve been to multiple exhibitions (I’m from NYC), some with instructional guides. Not that I’m any “expert” but let’s face it – his mastery is beyond question, even it it’s not your cup of tea. I’m fickle and sure to change at some point, but I just love every single one of his paintings.

I’ve studied his brushwork. There are no tentative stabs at the canvas with a tiny brush (guilty). No try and try again to get it, pixel (as it were) by pixel. Not at all. Look where you will and there are 2 or 3 masterful strokes and they do everything. And not much blending on the canvas and I love that. He mixes a color and then, with total authority, lays it down in the absolute most perfect location. Zoom in (or get close if you’re privileged to be in the presence of the orig) and you see messiness and roughness. It’s uncanny. Step away and it snaps into place – like a Renoir or a Monet – who obviously are also at this rarefied sphere of incredible greatness but right now it’s JSS for me.

Love any comments – I’m totally obsessed by his work and style right now.

Use Her Name

He has been one of my favorites since high school. I’ve seen several of his pieces in person. I like that period of painting. Thomas Eakins is another master of the same genre, same caliber painter. Of course the sculptors, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi (statue of liberty), cowboy artists like Remington, and others. The late 1800’s early 1900’s period of realism had some amazing artists, as far as I am concerned.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Gribbey

I am also a fan of Sargent’s, thanks for reminding me.
                Here’s a youtube link to ‘The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit’.

http://https://youtu.be/-znOSWfAb_8

C&C welcome
                "If you go out in the woods today, you're in for a big surprise!" Jimmy Kennedy

Use Her Name

I am also a fan of Sargent’s, thanks for reminding me.
                    Here’s a youtube link to ‘The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit’.

[URL=http://https://youtu.be/-znOSWfAb_8]http://https://youtu.be/-znOSWfAb_8[/URL]

An old friend of mine (now deceased) was in her 70’s when I was in my 30’s. She was the granddaughter of one of the Boit sisters (one of the younger ones). She told a story that the daughter farthest in the shadows died very young. I wonder if the pose reflected that? I wonder if she was sick or ill at the time? It was interesting to actually know someone related to someone painted by a famous painter like Sargent.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

MarcF

I’m very familiar with the Boit sisters painting.
                        It’s one of my very favorite paintings of all time.
                        It’s absolutely flawless – which is not what makes is so great – but it is.

There are specific strokes on specific paintings that I love. Can you imagine getting that intimate with a painters work, that I can think of individual strokes. One is in his mustache in his self portrait. One is the far off finger of the dancer on top of the roof (not the flamenco dancer at night in the cantina) but dancing on the roof in Capri. But the Flamenco dancer at night with the three guitarists? Don’t get me started. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

hardmoney

I’m awed by the vases every time I see that painting. I recently got an original printing of Charteris’s book about him and it is now one of my treasures.

MarcF

The vases are indeed a high point and I love them too. They are extraordinarily beautiful- as are the girls themselves.
                                Closely examine any feature on any Sargent work, and it’s perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I weep in front of Sargents work.

when my friends are overly critical of themselves I always remind them that Sargent erased his brush work over and over until he was satisfied.

It looks effortless and perfect but he worked just as obsessively as the rest of us to make it that way.
                                My British literature teacher like to remind us that all of the gods of literature were once human.

For every masterpiece there are hundreds of failures we don’t see…
                                😊😎

TomMather

To me, Sargent was one of the all time great portraitists, particularly when he was painting more “ordinary” people, rather than commissions for wealthy individuals. However, even the portraits of high society folks are incredible. I mostly paint landscapes, but I still leaf through books and on-line compilations of his portraits fairly often.

TomMather

BTW, I visited the Reynolda House museum in Winston-Salem, NC, last week and they have a large portrait of a society woman. I can’t remember her name, but you can’t take your eyes off the painting. I was able to view the painting up close, and Sargent’s brushwork is simply incredible. The painting looks almost alive from a distance but the brushwork looks so simple and effortless up close — which of course it isn’t.

The guard on duty commented that I must be a painter because I was viewing the portrait so closely and from different angles. If you’re a painter, you can’t help but be awed by Sargent’s technique.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.