Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives The 12th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 486 total)
  • Author
    kevinwueste

The 12th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!
        Here forthwith are the 2015 Holiday Pairings ! Thank you again everyone for signing up! I know everyone is looking forward to getting started – the key – is to enjoy the process and the results and have fun! (OK that’s “keys” plural.. )..

A little background on the “how” of matching: The pairings were made this year using the rand() function again via Microsoft Excel. I had Excel generate random numbers for each swap member; I then sorted one half randomly, then sorted the other half randomly and then matched the two halves again – randomly. If there is a mistake – please let me know via PM and I will do my best to help! I have a back-up painter ( me! and others my pm me if they wish to take on add’l members) if we need one. I worked to accomodate locale requests but they may not be perfect ( as well as suitably random). I appreciate your flexibility! If I spelled your WC name imperfectly please take it up with my bosses! If you have a problem please email me ! I will do my best to fix it!

This year we would really like it if you would share your Works-in-Progress ( W.I.P’s) and finals here and a “selfie” ( portrait of you and your new painting) upon receipt!). Please post at least your final work and a photo of you and your new painting when you receive it! Please be sure to thank your partner for their hard work! :clap: Remember the goal is to have these complete and on their way by the first week in December. So get your photos sent as soon as you are able! ( via personal email ).

and now..

the list:

Please note that your partner is to the left -or right and on the same row as you. Example – Shebydo and Wal_T are partners – and so on (USA /domestic swap people are below the main group. ( sorry for the spoiler!) for the rest – the drum roll.. dldldldldldldldldldldldld

Please read: I hope you are are excited to get going! Now – on to getting photos that match the type and quality listed at the beginning of the Announcement thread – shot and off to your swap partner. I suggest you send several images of yourself ( get some help with the shooting part please!) and make sure you follow the directions. These are best sent via your email and not through the pm system ( size limitations).

Your partner should NOT get snapshot-quality images – they should be carefully lit photos with no flash, no direct,frontal lighting and several image options for them to consider! If you do not send good reference images, your partner may ask for good form-light and shadows so they have something clear to draw or paint. I suggest you set exposure compensation/Exposure Adjustment to minus .7 or minus 1 to ensure no blown-out lights as well!

Thank you everyone again for joining in this our biggest year and well – here we go!!

-Kevin and the portraiture team

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
        "kevinwueste" on instagram

Toril

Thank you, Kevin, for doing this! :clap:

I was going to ask when you sleep, I see the answer is Never!

Excited and intimidated about this task. :)

PS – do you know you are in there twice…?

OK

Hi Toril, you are quick of the mark :) assuming this is the thread for posting work I’ll comment and get subscribed to it :).

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                — Allen Ginsberg
                Are you ready for a Journey?
                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

WthrLady

:clap: thank you kevin!

Hello to my painting buddy Sula! Photos are on their way!

Marie-Thomas

excited to start! hi shubert, I allready took a look at your website. I’ll try sending some pictures tomorrow.

kevinwueste

Thank you, [B]Kevin[/B], for doing this! :clap:

I was going to ask when you sleep, I see the answer is Never!

Excited and intimidated about this task. :)

PS – do you know you are in there twice…?

Hi Toril and everyone – welcome to the progress and sharing thread for this year! Tori – my fire alarms all started going off at some point after midnight here and I had to figure out what was going on ( no fire, just low batteries.. but they are high up on high ceilings.. so it was an adventure last night.. since I already had the random pairings completed I figured I might get them posted so I could let me heart rate fall!!!

PS – yes I do!

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                            Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                            http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                            "kevinwueste" on instagram

Just checking in and “Hi” to Xislandman (Dennis Marshall).

dollardays

I have emailed my partner Sophie77– please send me some pictures, Sophie. I have a couple to send to you to choose from. :)

xislandman

Hi Michael… my email is [email][email protected][/email]. Send me a couple of photos to muse and I will return with a couple of mine. Should be fun.

Just checking in and “Hi” to Xislandman (Dennis Marshall).

...dennis
                                    http://DennisMarshallArtist.blogspot.com/ - '...and the lie faded into history and became the truth.'

rickycorbett

Maryna (sunychka) and I exchanged photos and I’m really excited to start. I’m working on a line drawing now and will be posting my first WIP hopefully later tonight. The portrait swap is always a lot of fun and a great way to meet people in the group. Also, I personally learn so much along the way. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s portraits.

~Ricky :)

Everyone

Finally checking in!

I see I’m paired with 123harry — I’ll send a PM & arrange to get some decent photos of self taken…. could take a while! :lol: (this week!)

Cheers, Lauren
                                            https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
                                            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

rickycorbett

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my line drawing of Maryna’s portrait. Right now it doesn’t look like much. The way that I work is that I take plain ole’ printer paper and draw on that initially. I make a lot of mistakes and I erase a lot, so instead of using my Bristol paper, I use the printer paper. I’m always afraid of damaging my good paper because of all of the erasing I do. I call this stage of my process the “ugly stage” because the lines are drawn quickly and are used for placement only – sort of like a map. I like to map out where the shadows are and where I want the facial features. Once everything is mapped out, I tape the line drawing on the printer paper to the back of my good drawing paper using Artist’s Tape and then transfer the line drawing onto my drawing surface using a light box.

Now that I have everything where I want them to be, I can start to add detail, tone, and texture to bring Maryna to life on paper.

This is going to be 11 x 14 graphite on Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper. For pencils, so far I used a Pentel P205 mechanical pencil with a 2B lead. More to come soon!

Thanks,
                                                Ricky :)

Netty

This will be fun :) :) :)

Netty ...... Beauty for ashes... The oil of joy for mourning...True Peace....
                                                    https://www.instagram.com/nettykozlovsky/

Toril

Kevin, glad to hear it wasn’t a fire! :eek:

Dave, looking forward to the swap! I got your e-mail with the photos.

So far, I have started sketching Dave’s (Journeyman) profile pic to get familiar. Yes, it’s not clear, and a typical snapshot, but I really like the mood in it. Dave has e-mailed me more high quality photos of a similar angle for reference.

I should hopefully be able to e-mail some photos back within a day or two.

Ricky, thanks for sharing and setting the pace! ;) This seems like a really methodical approach.

sunychka

Kevin, thank you for organizing this!
                                                            Ricky, you are fast!
                                                            Looking forward to see everyone’s work!
                                                            :wave:

Maryna

PROUD TO BE UKRAINIAN
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 486 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.