Home Forums Explore Subjects Inspirational Art Understanding how artwork is accepted or rejected in today’s church

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,
    I am requiring help in opening up my mind to the understanding of Ex 20:4-5 and how artwork is understood (accepted/rejected) by God’s people. I am questioning how to address this verse in the context of my artwork (2-D) in the church? How do I implement change or just plant a seed in educating the understanding of people’s concept of artwork and the church?
    Can someone explain if any other gift that pertains to today’s church has ever been as scrutinized, criticized, destroyed, banned or even thought of in the same way that artwork has?

I am studying in art history the Byzantine art period. The course work will not go into the iconoclasm or the destruction of images in the eight century. I am finding it is very important for me to study this at a much deeper level. Having studied very little art history I never knew the implications, distorted beliefs and actions of people using Gods word as a platform to destroy artworks of history. In today’s church I see people determine their definition of what artwork is or is not and how they use it to impact the parishioners actions/thinking using this verse (Ex 20:4-5).

Expanding to how people purchase artwork for their homes in context of so called “religious art”.
    Does anyone think that this is not even a concern in today’s church?
    Is artwork used in your church to teach?
    Are artist’s allowed to participate in the service?
    Do the leaders of the church define how images are to be used in the church?
    Do the same rules apply to other gifts – dance, music, drama etc.?

I greatly appreciate any thoughts to help me in better understanding of how me the artist finds a place in the church.

Kim

SMClement

I am requiring help in opening up my mind to the understanding of Ex 20:4-5 and how artwork is understood (accepted/rejected) by God’s people. I am questioning how to address this verse in the context of my artwork (2-D) in the church? How do I implement change or just plant a seed in educating the understanding of people’s concept of artwork and the church?

I stumbled across this forum this morning. I find your question(s) strikes a chord with me, and I’d like to put in my humble opinion.

Understanding a passage of scripture, or for that matter, any literature, hinges greatly on looking at the context. I would back up one verse to include Ex 20:3 to illuminate verses 4 and 5. I see the overall message of these three verses as: “You shall have no other gods. You shall not create an idol in any form what-so-ever. You shall not worship anything else what-so-ever.” Also, I found a cross-reference in Deut 4:15-18 that sheds some light on the Exodus passage.

So, how to influence other people in the church? I have no idea here, as I have sat back in frustration for many years, watching for possible ways to use my artistic skills in the context of my church. But, two authors come to mind on the subject: Francis Schaeffer and his son, Franky Schaeffer. The elder Schaeffer wrote “Art and the Bible”, and it’s very scholarly. (http://www.rationalpi.com/theshelter/art.html) The younger Schaeffer is a also a painter; he wrote “Addicted to Mediocrity: Contemporary Christians and the Arts.”

Is artwork used in your church to teach?
        Are artist’s allowed to participate in the service?
        Do the leaders of the church define how images are to be used in the church?
        Do the same rules apply to other gifts – dance, music, drama etc.?

I am finally seeing my church opening up to using all forms of artistic expression to teach and glorify God. It is still in it’s infancy in regards to the visual arts. Dance started being used not too long ago, and so far it has been used on only a few rare occasions. Recently visual artists were challenged to create a work based on a particular passage of scripture. That’s the first time that has happened, and I hope to see more of it.

All forms are previewed in some way by the staff to ensure the basic content will not cause problems, but I think that is appropriate. We wouldn’t want foul or degrading language, or immodest dress, distracting from the overall message being presented.

I hope this helps. It has helped me, just putting my thoughts down in words.

Susan

[FONT=Book Antiqua]"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." - Jesus

DLGardner

Ohhhh this strikes a chord with me!

I stuggled with that same passage personally long ago when I first accepted Christ’s Lordship. With the influence of the church I believed for a time that making art was sacrilege and idol worship. As I matured I realized that such thinking was in exact opposition to what God’s intent is. God indeed has given us the gift of recreating. We are made in His image and He creates. We are most blessed to be able to do what we, as artists do- of course, that is if we use our talents to glorify Him in some way even if it is to speak of the beauty around us (i.e. landscapes etc). Furthermore the first folks in the Bible who were anointed by the Holy Spirit for specific works were the artisans that built the Temple and decorated its interior.

In those days when there were wars, the musicians proceeded the armies. Another special way that God used his artisans.

I really believe that because artists are visionaries they (and often their works) are completely misunderstood by the general public church. I also believe that because artists see what others cannot, and record what they see or feel or percieve, they in a sense have the ability to speak through their art prophetically. I have seen this many times in music, dance and the visual arts.

Seven years ago I founded an organization called The Christian Cultural Arts Center. We put on several annual events at a large facility in our area. There were visual artists selling their work, musicians, dancers, mimes, actors, all performing the entire day. Everything we did was worship it was so beautiful. No one was paid for any of it. It was incredible the participation we had from all over the state. Unfortunately no one came. I mean we had like zilch for audiences and this was for three years in a row. We were well advertised. Why didn’t folks come? The churches did not support it. In fact, folks were cautioned against coming because we were not functioning ‘under a church covering’. Now I don’t want to start debating that issue with anyone here. But I do want to say that I know we were blessed for doing what we did. We no longer put events on. Our organization now feeds the homeless on Sunday mornings and that is the all of it anymore.

One other thing that we did was hold a conference on arts and worship-to educate the church. Two well known artists from Texas came to speak. One was a dance choreographer for Ballet Magnificat (and founder of Dance ad deum) http://www.danceaddeum.com/sdi/photos.html

http://www.itickets.com/jump/index.html?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.danceaddeum.com

and a professional singer. It was a mountain top experience for those of us who attended…those five of us who attended I should say.

I was blessed to have gone to Texas the year after that and particpate in ArtReach- a three day conference of Christian artists (mostly dancers)from all over the world. I tell you…that was the most fulfilling worship I had ever expereinced.

My conclusion. The church isn’t ready for the arts.
            I love Francis Schaffer by the way. His book How Then Shall We Live touched on the arts as well. Good stuff!

Thanks for letting me vent!
            Dianne

Larry Seiler

I highly recommend becoming familiar with this artist/musician author, John Fischer

http://www.fischtank.com/

…and have lauded and suggested his book, “Fearless Faith- Living Beyond the Safe Walls of Christianity” to any and every artist of faith to read, to contemplate upon…muse, pray and let God move you. This remembrance of my strong feelings for the connection I made with this book comes of your comment and questions.

Fischer gives the convenience of a link to his first chapter of this book that can be read online.

Larry

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

DLGardner

I’m reading that chapter now Larry. Excellent book!

Think I’ll order one!

Dianne

SMClement

How do I implement change or just plant a seed in educating the understanding of people’s concept of artwork and the church?

This morning I was musing about this question again. I remembered that a small group of my Christian friends had gathered on a semi-regular basis to work through a Bible study centered on creativity. This was a very encouraging time. It is also an example of a “seed planting” operation that can gradually change other believers’ understanding about the arts. Gather together people who are willing to listen and learn and see what comes of it. The group had to disband because of scheduling problems, but I would like to revive the discussion group at some point in the future.

I am also blessed at my church that our lead pastor is a great fan of Francis Schaeffer. That is probably one reason we have more openness in our congregation to using all forms of artistic expression.

I really believe that because artists are visionaries they (and often their works) are completely misunderstood by the general public church.

The church is full of people who just don’t get art. It’s not just that they are suspicious of somehow being pulled into something evil that might run counter to a passage of scripture, but they also just don’t have a refined aesthetic taste that allows them to see any value in the fine arts. But then again, the world outside the church is full of the same aesthetically challenged people.

Seven years ago I founded an organization called The Christian Cultural Arts Center. We put on several annual events at a large facility in our area. There were visual artists selling their work, musicians, dancers, mimes, actors, all performing the entire day. Everything we did was worship it was so beautiful. No one was paid for any of it. It was incredible the participation we had from all over the state. Unfortunately no one came. I mean we had like zilch for audiences and this was for three years in a row. We were well advertised. Why didn’t folks come? The churches did not support it. In fact, folks were cautioned against coming because we were not functioning ‘under a church covering’.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened. I have seen a local church offer a similar event – a venue for drama, live music, and displays of fine arts and crafts. It had enough participation that they sold tickets to it. It has been held for several years, now. The difference is likely that this church is open minded about the arts, whereas the churches in your area were not.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." - Jesus

Susan,

Thank you for the reminder, in order to understand verses it is important to look at the context. I appreciate your link to F. Schaeffer’s site. I was unaware of his writings and I will research more.

I was hoping to start or join a group of visual artist at my church. Checking into it at the present moment, I think it is a great idea.
                        I have another artist group I belong to that has several non Christians. I pray I set an example of the teachings of God’s word to open minds here.

Dianne,

Thank you for your insight. Becoming more knowledgeable about what others have done or are doing really helps. I will check out your links and do further research.
                        “Under church covering” I understand and can see this in some of the churches of today.

Larry,

Thank you for the link. I will do further research and read the online chapter. I appreciate your input.

People not understanding or the church not being ready is something of a difficult challenge. I will pray and read God’s word to find answers.

Kim

Kim

Lynn Quinn

Great question! I’ve been trying to find time to put in my 2 cents (while trying to finish my submission for the tsunami project). Dianne, you’ve covered the points I would have made, only probably better! :clap:

I’m blessed to be part of a congregation that is open to the arts as an expression of worship. We are able to display paintings in the area where we meet for coffee after church (best wall space available), and I have sold paintings to other members. Presently we don’t have anyone gifted/bold enough to use dance as an expression of worship, but I’ve been in churches where this was a fairly regular thing. We frequently have various forms of drama as part of our services. My pastor’s theory is that if we have members gifted/willing to move into ministry areas, then we will. This not only applies to outreach, but ministry within the congregation (ie. leading small groups, children’s ministries, etc.) including the arts.

I’ve been in church all my life (close to 53 years now :) ), and one of the things from my childhood that sticks out most in my mind is when we had a visiting artist who painted a landscape during the service while music was playing, I think. I was amazed. It was really fast, and very good! I don’t remember details, just the sense it was done as an expression of praise to God for the beauty He’s created. I don’t think I could ever do that, as I’m pretty slow, and like to paint without the distraction of other people around!

I went to a Christian college in Kansas. One of our chapel services was a potter working on a wheel, while speaking to us about God as the potter shaping us for the purpose He has in mind for us. I know it made a great impression on me, re. the need to submit myself to the Potter’s hands! It was a great teaching tool.

I do believe that the climate re. the arts is changing in many churches that are sensitive to the Holy Spirit. I believe He is restoring the concept that “worship” isn’t just singing or music, but involves every area of our lives bringing praise and glory to our Lord.

I’ve only been showing my work for a few years, but there have been several times when viewers have asked questions re. the spiritual aspects of a painting, even “just a landscape”. I ask the Lord to help me communicate His message through the painting, and I believe He does. I did a painting of a hollow tree stump on a snow-covered hill, with a sun pillar behind it. A lady asked me “Did you paint that with spirit?” I didn’t know where she was coming from, so I ask what she meant. She just repeated the question. So I answered that I believed I had painted it with the inspiration and help of the Holy Spirit. She looked a bit shocked, said “Oh!” and walked away. But I was sort of surprised that people did recognise a spiritual component to it. We just never know how the Lord is going to make use of our creativity to touch people’s lives.

Didn’t mean to get this wordy!
                            God bless you all!
                            Lynn

My website: http://lynn-quinn.pixels.com/

I’ve thought of bringing my story to the thread several times, but didn’t want to sound like a whiner. And, I hoped to get things resolved before having to say anything. But, here’s what has happened to me. (Hopefully, I can keep it brief.)

My husband and I found a great church after looking for almost 2 years that had very loving people with open arms and big hearts. Not long after we started there last summer it was mentioned that a new building project had been started to build our own building. (We currently rent most of a shopping center.)

I was so inspired by the vision of what they were wanting to do with the beautiful hillside property that I prayed about and started a series of paintings that depicted the “Journey to Highridge”.

After discussing with the pastor if this would be of any use to the church body and getting a very resounding “Yes!”, I painted 5 paintings that included 2 with the journey and the vision (Similar to matted plaque). One had the current building, one the hill as it is now, and one with the vision of the new building. I painted and cut my own mats and made my own frames to fit the design. It took longer than I thought, but was relieved and pleased enough when I finished them over 2 months ago.

Here’s where the hard part started. I took them to church, nervous about how they’d be received, if at all, to be told by the pastor that he had given the task of what to do with them to the MUSIC pastor. This pastor had us stack them in the office conference room, which I didn’t even know existed. To date, they are still where we put them. After much discouragement, and no one giving me answers as to what they would do with them I finally received word (from someone else, not the pastor) that they would be put up in that conference room. This room is only used by a maximum of 10 office people (out of a membership of about 500-700 people.)

I know that I was probably being silly to be hurt by this, but I just couldn’t help it. I know that I created them because I felt the Lord wanted me to. But, I just don’t understand why they were relegated to something not much more than a closet. I almost took them back home, but got myself back together and didn’t.

I guess I shouldn’t have done anything until I had been requested to do it, but I thought I was doing something to help all of the church. (And, this was all we had to give to this building fund while I’m out of work.) But, with His grace, I’ll get past this and maybe someday I’ll be able to help other visual artists get their work in churches where it’s not viewed as “fluff”.

(Sorry that this went so long.)

Felica

http://keech-smithgallery.com/[/url]

DLGardner

Felica I can understand your disappointment. Its probably not much comfort, but we have to remember that when we do anything, we should do it unto the Lord. He has seen your work in secret, and in secret he will reward it. If anything, he will build your character through this experience.

I took some paintings to church once at the pastors request and they sat on the floor in a conference room where people could bump into them and push chairs into them etc. They sat there for about two weeks. Finally I just took them home. I figured that just as God had given me the vision to paint those pictures so too he has given me stewertship over them to keep them safe.

Your paintings sound wonderful by the way. Do you have any images to post?

Dianne

Felica I can understand your disappointment. Its probably not much comfort, but we have to remember that when we do anything, we should do it unto the Lord. He has seen your work in secret, and in secret he will reward it. If anything, he will build your character through this experience.

I took some paintings to church once at the pastors request and they sat on the floor in a conference room where people could bump into them and push chairs into them etc. They sat there for about two weeks. Finally I just took them home. I figured that just as God had given me the vision to paint those pictures so too he has given me stewertship over them to keep them safe.

Your paintings sound wonderful by the way. Do you have any images to post?

Dianne

I know Dianne, that’s why I’ve felt a little bit guilty and silly for my feelings about what they’ve done with them.

It’s interesting that you said that about your paintings because that’s exactly where these have been (“…on the floor in a conference room where people could bump into them and push chairs into them etc.”) for these 2 months. I’ve never thought about that stewardship, so I wonder if I should check and make sure they are still not all scratched up. But, I did have them all wrapped up in bubble wrap, so maybe they are ok.

As far as images of the paintings, I’ve just realized that I’ve never gotten a picture of the largest of the five (the concept of the builiding), but I’ve attached one of the other 4. For an idea of the size, the 2 middle ones are about 9 x 15 inches (inside the mat), and all painted in watercolor. (Sorry about the “fisheye” problem that my camera caused.)

Felica

Felica, As an associate pastor, I am SO sorry that your work was treated with such careless disregard.
                                I second the “stewardship” concept. I would slip in and remove the paintings. You could try to sell them privately, and donate the money to the building fund. Then again, you might consider speaking with the pastor. Honestly express your feelings. From what you write, I don’t get a sense of pride, but of humble service to God and the church. I think a sensitive pastor would pick up on that.
                                I have recently begun a journey to take my own art seriously after a long neglect. I had grown to think of it as separate from my call as a minister. Thank God He put someone in my life who reproved me as ‘neglecting a gift God gave’ me!
                                As I work now, I honestly consider my art as an act of true worship! I meditate on God’s gifting. I praise Him as I struggle through difficult portions.
                                I am very fortunate that our senior pastor is also a gifted professional musician/drama performer. We have several art-sensitive parishioners, too.
                                Blessing on you as you try to work through this.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jerry
                                "A man's got to know his limitations." ('Dirty Harry Callahan')
                                "...but NOT create them!" (Jerry Fuller, aka 'Ikneadaneraser')

As I work now, I honestly consider my art as an act of true worship! I meditate on God’s gifting. I praise Him as I struggle through difficult portions…

Exactly. Thank you so much for your kind words Jerry. You are a true encourager. I’d like to think that I could sell them, but I’ve had trouble finding buyers as it is for my work. I will continue to pray about whether I’m supposed to take them home or not. (Honestly, it hurt me so badly yesterday that if I had had them I might have done something REALLY dumb and shreaded them. :rolleyes: )

It IS interesting though when you come across those that are gifted in other areas (like music.. of which I am also), but those others have such a difficult time appreciating the giftings God gave others. My brother is a head pastor, music minister and all that too (he’s in another state) and he even struggles seeing the need or importance of visual art.

Kim, please forgive me for hijacking your thread. I hope that you feel that my thoughts have been an addition and not a hinderance.

Felica

Felica,

You’re giving and sharing exactly the input that is needed to help clarify an important issue within today’s church. More is needed and necessary if it is to change.
                                I was concerned that I was a lone voice in a church of thousands. The more input the better, everyone’s input is welcome, even those that have a different voice.

I also have had a similar experience as you. I find it unacceptable.

My next question is how to have our voice be heard.
                                Pastors, so passionate about teaching Gods word and getting the message out, have lots of accepted methods in which this is accomplished. Do we take their sermons and drop them in a corner or prop them up against a wall and ignore because we are ignorant about the subject matter in which it is presented? Are they not called to be teachers? (How about us are we not called to be teachers?) Showing us the way? (Using art work as tools to show others the way?) At the moment I am praying about and reading about what it is that God needs me to accomplish with my work. I fear that by not addressing these issues in the church we are not accomplishing what we have been called to do.

Please keep contributing your thoughts. I’m thankful to have company in which to share.

Kim

Kim

Thanks Kim, I really appreciate it.

And, you may really be on to something about us speaking up. I have a tendency to just shrink back in the background instead of standing up. Something we should really be praying about.

Felica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.