Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Blick soft pastels.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Crazyjade2131

Anyone tried the Blick soft pastels? What are your thoughts on them? I got some for Christmas but haven’t really had a chance to get into them because I feel like I can’t really do anything until I get a good surface to work on. I ordered the pastel paper sample pack from Dakota so hopefully I can really get into using these once they arrive. But I was just wondering if anyone has tried these and if so what were your thoughts on them? I have so far found that they are quite a bit less chalky then the Faber-Castels that I started with Hut that is it so far.

robertsloan2

I’ve had a sample. It was quite soft and the color, a brilliant red-orange, was vivid and strong. Not at all chalky. If you started with Faber Castells, they have a student grade that’s quite similar to other student grade pastels. Blick Artist soft pastels are nothing like that, much more pigment rich and a texture more like Sennelier or Rembrandt, somewhere between those two. Sennelier is softer and Rembrandt firmer, Blick ones are in between and very good quality.

I am planning on getting a good half sticks set of 120 some time once I have more space, since I liked the sample I tried. Unfortunately I don’t have space to add yet another pastels set. The full range is 180 and the price on Blick Artist is very reasonable. I’m glad they filled it out, used to be just 90 colors.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

DBfarmgirl

I like them. The pigments are clearly labeled, no mystery colors. I like the texture better than Rembrandt, no hard outer layer. Great prices too. I got the 120 half stick set several years ago and then added a couple of the other colors later.

Crazyjade2131

I’ve briefly had a chance to use a few now that my paper pack has arrived. They feel pretty smooth to me and definitely don’t get my hands as messy!! But it is kind of hard to tell if the huge differences I’m feeling is because I have a good surface to work on or if it’s because I got new pastels!!! I’ve only started using one of the sheets so far so I don’t have a good idea how well they work on the assortment of surfaces that I’ve now got. I will find out eventually though! I have to do something with each of the pages I got so that I can decide which surface I prefer to use!!

Love the blick artist pastels, although they are most of what i have so some bias possibly. Great medium softness but soft enough for a final layer . Also a good price point for a art student wanting professional quality such as myself. I personally like using them on strathmores line of pastel paper and 500 tinted charcoal and on pastelbord over hard pastels and pastel pencils

I have a bunch, they are great! Comparable to rembrandts. :)
                    They work very nicely on sanded and non-sanded papers.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • The topic ‘Blick soft pastels.’ is closed to new replies.