WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, June 2018: optional plein air theme

I managed to steal 2 hours of time to myself during this weekends camping trip! Third Plein Air attempt.

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

JaeBeam, that looks awesome! I love the reflections on the water. And your greens are very vibrant. Looks like a great spot thanks paint. I hope you have bug spray!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

I spent a couple more hours with my benches. (This photo is darker than the actual painting; I waited until after dark to photograph it, and my indoor lighting setup needs work.) I think it's coming along pretty well, but I have some questions.

Do the benches look plausible? Are they in perspective? And is there enough contrast between light and dark in the picture? The scene is mostly in shadow, with some sun-dappled light touching the concrete between the benches, and sunlight in the background. Should I lighten the value of the light in the background?

Again, the photo is darker than the real thing. "Benches," in progress, oil on panel, 11" x 14."

For fun I tried using filters to correct my too-dark photo, but they didn't help. Here's a too-light version:

And here's a too-saturated version, lol. I just used the filters in Camera+, my iPhone photo app. Maybe I should bust out photoshop next time.

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 AM

Hails from United States

I like it. Nice touch with the Benches. I would not change them. I agree with making the light and shadows more convincing. Not sure if that’s a value or chroma adjustment. Sometimes you struggle more than other times, but might as well go for it.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Geoff, if you're going for a backlit tree, I'd increase the contrast between it and the fields behind, probably by lightening the fields (more yellow green or yellow). I'm not certain whether you'd need to do anything to the tree itself as it's hard to tell from the photos what the values are; it's probably something that can be decided when you finish the other changes. Perhaps the tree would have a halo of sun around it? And the shadows cast by the tree vs the area around them look to my eye like they should also involve more contrast too. OTOH, the yellow version looks interesting as is - maybe a glazing of indian yellow would be the answer?

I've resolved to do some plein air this summer. There. Now I'm committed to it and can't get out of it, right?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-26-2018 at 01:18 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:34 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Between trying to get a decent photo and network issues, it's taken me literally hours to get this posted, so I'll forego commenting further until tomorrow. This is just a first step on this plein air - it's only the very first attempt at a block in. It's probably clear that I ran into problems and lost the light too quickly. The color in the photo is off (and it's a little fuzzy), but also in the actual painting. It'll change substantially, but I wanted to post it anyway, b/c I feel so happy about finally getting out there! ]

― Sir Thomas Browne

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:59 AM
Enthusiast

Great start, Annie! I like the air of mystery. My connection is bad too, so I’ll say more tomorrow.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 AM
Enthusiast

Annie, I'm half-tempted to advise you to stop and sign that painting! It's admittedly rather abstract now, but that's what I like about it. If you do take it further, I hope you post here.

I had to wait around for a plumber all day long (grr), so I didn't get out to paint until after 6 pm. That left me an hour of daylight to try to do something. The evening light was great, so I rushed to do a quick sketch of this scene. Also, for some reason I chose to paint on brushed aluminum without any ground or gesso. A surface that's paintable but way too slippery.

As I said about Annie's, the picture is semi-abstract, and in my case it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. It's supposed to be a sunlit canopy of trees hanging over a street. It looks more like a weird cave, lol. But I still kinda like it. "Canopy over Brookside Avenue," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

JaeBeam, excellent work on your third plein air. Well done!

Annie, glad you posted! You have wonderful block in going on in this plein air. I'd continue it, if the location is ok to stay out and paint.

Grotius, sounds good that you managed to go out to paint even it's was only a short time. Wonderful light on "Canopy over Brookside Avenue". I like how the "Benches" is in perspective. Nice one!

It has been too hot for me in June to paint well outside and somehow I've forgotten what I'm suppose to do when painting out there. It's been difficult.

Here are some not-yet-finished from the past week. "Aspen - WIP", size small, oil on canvas board. "Garden - WIP", 18x24cm (7x9.5"), oil on Fabriano Canvas Grain 140lbs.

Last edited by moscatel : 06-29-2018 at 09:22 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

The two very unfinished plein airs below are from the same place. The first one I left like that: very unfinished because I didn't know if it would ever work out. The second one: I'm still wondering if it'll ever work out as a composition. I was painting in a local rose garden (yes, I know 'Where are the roses') with my Bengal cat. Funny thing the visitors don't take pictures of me or pay me any attention but to the cat. She's the star there!
I still have the first attempt so I could continue it, rose garden is near, or paint something else on it and use it as a bg.
"Rose Garden study", 16x22cm, oil on canvas board
"Rose Garden - WIP", 24x30 cm, oil on Bengian linen

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

Also been sketching my cat in the garden. Usually she's stable for a long time in the garden but not when I try to sketch her.

"Bengal black&white sketches", 18x24 cm (7x9.5"), oil on Fabriano Canvas Grain 140lbs. Since these turned out quite sketchy I could paint over them with color. I just might do that.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Moscatel, thanks for posting such a wide variety of interesting pictures. I really like "Aspen," and I hope you don't change it too much. I like the dark values around the bottom of the trees; very convincing.

The "Rose Garden" pictures may well be better off without the roses! Mitch Albala says in one of his books that it's awful hard to paint flower gardens convincingly. Maybe it's just as well you limited yourself to the trees!

Finally, great job on the cat. You really captured her gesture, especially the sleeping pose and the pose looking right at us. She looks like a good companion. And sure, why not add more color?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2018, 04:03 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

This will be short as internet on my laptop is failing and it's hard to type accurately on my phone - not to mention bizarre spellchecker corrections!

Geoff, I'm surprised but glad my block in inspired you, as I regretted posting it at one point b/c it was so vague still. Your tree canopy piece is terrific - such expressive brushwork! And lovely color too. I wonder if there was a little light coming thru in the distance between the trees if that might make it read better.

Mosc, like Geoff, I especially like the aspen piece - well done! And the oil sketches of Muffin are really nice too. Do you plan to take them further?

Here's the latest post on Mitch Alabala's blog which I think you all might appreciate:
https://blog.mitchalbala.com/how-val...cape-painting/

― Sir Thomas Browne

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Enthusiast

What a fantastic blog that is, Annie. I'm now reading some of his older posts. When I start the July oil-from-life thread, I'll try to remember to provide another link to the blog so that everyone sees it.

I took extensive notes on his recent book, which you recommended, and I think about some of his advice often. Today, for example, I had in mind his advice about how to paint in relation to sun position. I'll post the resulting painting in the July thread.