WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 05:33 PM

Embedding Dura-Lar film in epoxy/resins

Hello friends,

Does anyone of you have ever tried to embedd acrylic paintings made on Dura-Lar film between two poured resin layers?

And if yes with good results in the long run?

I don't find many colleagues who already tried this,
so I would be more than thrilled to have any news.

Kind regards,

Phil
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Embedding Dura-Lar film in epoxy/resins

Acrylic can adhere well on Dura-Lar. But what is a reason of Epoxy resin layers? I do not understand that. You can seal acrylic paint layer with acrylic polymer varnish and then use removable mineral spirit acrylic on top. Back side of Dura-lar do not need any protection.

Last edited by Gigalot : 06-14-2018 at 07:04 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Acrylic can adhere well on Dura-Lar. But what is a reason of Epoxy resin layers? I do not understand that.

Perhaps the user wishes to make a paper-weight, with the painting embedded?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguino
Epoxy has poor adhesive to Duralar.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I'm not certain what the goal is, Phil, and perhaps yours is a question better asked in the acrylics forum. But, FYI, I've experimented with acrylic "skins," which essentially are poured layers of acrylic+a flexible-type medium, allowed to dry on some sort of flexible non-stick surface (I used a silicone baking mat) which allows the layer to eventually be lifted off the non-stick surface. I made a layer of paint+medium in the shape of a woman and let it dry. Then, I covered it with a second layer of medium alone. Since the medium was semi-transparent, the result was that the figure of the woman appears to be behind a layer of frosted glass. It took some experimenting to adjust the fluidity so that it would dry with a reasonably smooth surface.

I have no idea if what I just wrote is anything to do with what you want to accomplish, but hope it was helpful somehow.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Acrylic can adhere well on Dura-Lar. But what is a reason of Epoxy resin layers? I do not understand that. You can seal acrylic paint layer with acrylic polymer varnish and then use removable mineral spirit acrylic on top. Back side of Dura-lar do not need any protection.

thanks Gigalot,
it is not a 'usual' painting; it is a kind of collage piece made out of Duralar pieces, with a random shape of a bird, so there is no other substrate (wooden panel, canvast, etc.) possible; I would like to find a way to 'embedd' it in something, and it seems to me that epoxy is the only possible way, but i have no clue if epoxy on top of the Duralar film and epoxy on the backside of the Duralar film (this is the painted side with acrylics because I did reverse painting ) will rest 'reliable' in terms of 'bond' in the long run; the backside for sure as there the bond is a bond between acrylics and epoxy, which is good, but if I pour epoxy also on the frontside on top of the Duralar film, I don't know what can happen in the long run... anyway when I lay down my collage piece with the backside in an epoxy layer, the epoxy even finds it way to parts on top, it moves, so one should think that the bond will stay secure if pouring both an underlayer and a top layer...
Can you follow a bit? I know it's not easy that's why I tried here to ask the pros. Kind regards.
Phil
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguino

thanks Pinguino, that's indeed what I want to do, pouring a kind of transparant shape without another substrate.
I have composed a kind of collage with different Duralar pieces, they form a kind of bird shape. As I did reverse painting with acrylics on the Duralar film, the acrylic paint is on the back of the film. So I first pour a resin layer, then I put my shape in it (acrylics backside enters in contact with epoxy), and then I pour epoxy on top of the smooth upperside of the film (without paint).
So here on that top layer the epoxy is in direct contact with the epoxy. I was asking myself what can 'happen' with the bond in the long run.
Thanks a lot, Phil
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Water-clear artists' grade 2-components epoxy resin should be fine for that!
Just degrease dura-lar to remove finger prints from the surface to improve bonding
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Water-clear artists' grade 2-components epoxy resin should be fine for that!
Just degrease dura-lar to remove finger prints from the surface to improve bonding

Yes, oh that's great Gigalot, thank you very much for your reply, you make my day in a certain way.
Indeed there's epoxy on both sides of the total Duralar collage piece.
I am now using the brands Resion and Totalcast for that.
So my only fear was the fact that customers could come back after years and say the Duralar piece has because a kind of 'loose' within the epoxy embedding.
I have now poured one layer under the backside,
and one layer on top of the frontside.
Do you think that pouring another extra layer epoxy can strengthen the total?
If I can help you with sth too, let me know.
Much appreciated for your reply,

Phil