WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
London, Ont

Hails from Canada
Re: Signature on Artwork

Your signature is your logo, much like the distinctive Nike check is Nike's. You could sign it with a made up name if you want, or your pet's name, or whatever, so long as it's distinctive enough to be recognizably yours.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Re: Signature and name change

My name has changed, so I am signing my new art with my new name. I have gicleé prints of my older art. Can I change the signature on those if the original sold some time ago with the old name? also, is it really important to put the year?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Hails from England

I must be very boring, then, as I sign with my first name, last name, and then just the year. How terribly pedestrian. And I'm one of those women who'd never change her name is she got married, so thankfully that's not an issue for me.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

There was once a young Dutch painter who signed his painting with his first name only. He is widely regarded as having sold only one painting during his lifetime. One of his works is now anong the top ten most widely recognized paintings in the world.

His name? "Vincent"
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

Question: My website's name is not my own name, but a brand "FreakStyleART". I'm thinking about signing my work (sculptures) with that brand name and the year + edition, but many people say you should use your own name for signing.

What do you guys think? I'd figured that if I'm using my own name, nobody is going to find my website and isn't that the point of the deal? (not to mention that my own name is loooooooooong and my sculptures small)
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 12:26 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sheeky
The reason a first name is not recommended is normally simple; when someone sees a painting they like they look to see who painted it. For me a signature should be at least readable and contain enough information so that someone can track down the artist.

If your name is too long perhaps you could use a different name for yourself? Picasso chose his mother's name (now his full name was long)!

Mark
Well said. Thanks.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

When I started out, female artists were not seen as serious artists, so I signed my name first 2 initials and Patronymic-- not in order to be taken more seriously but to de-gender my name so no one who harbored hidden prejudice (like "women belong in the kitchen, not in the Art studio") would allow that to stand in the way of looking at or buying my art. (That was in the 1970's).

And to comment on whether the name Kathy should be taken seriously... Should Mike, or Bob be taken more seriously? Should Chang, or Sanjay? Why is their such a double standard? (OOps, my postmodernism is showing).

I think you should wear the name you choose proudly! You can even make one up (like Elton John) or use your first name (Cher, Prince). It would be super confusing if you had the name of a famous artist like "Rothko" for instance. "Oh, I thought Rothko did abstracts, and here he is painting cute little buckets with flowers in them!"

It is kind of interesting that many male artists are known by their last names only, "Cezanne," "Van Gogh," while female artists are known by first and last "Georgia O'Keefe,"Cindy Sherman."

Would you take "Cindy" seriously if she only signed her name "Cindy"? That is a cute little diminutive too, but she is a well-known artist. Just because it hasn't been done, there is nothing standing in the way of you doing it.