WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

master copy (?)

I just finished--I think--a painting, I worked hard to make it a "copy" of a master painting, but I'm simply not that good. Also size and proportions are different: his is measured in feet, mine inches, and I'm not a mathematician, but I think to be proportional, mine would need to be at least a few inches longer. I'd say the coloring is off, but I don't know: the picture I started with, from a magazine, is more browns, one in another place is more grays. I don't know which, if either is correct. The artist died in early 1900's. The painting was done in 1876. I think seeing them --photos of the original, and of mine, mine would somewhat easily seen to be modeled, or an attempt at a copy, of the photo of the original.
Is there a copyright issue here? Can I sell it? Can I do others, and put them up for sale/sell them? Do I need to attribute the original artist, and how?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: master copy (?)

No copyright issue at all. Any art created in the 1800's would be in the public domain now. For ethical reasons though I'd make sure I indicate that the painting is done after XXX (where XXX is the original artist's name.).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

A follow up question..
If an image is in a magazine, does the magazine have a copyright over the image even though the artist has passed.. Most magazines do have copyright in general..
and - If that same image is also available in online searches in many places.. less of an issue to worry about?
Perhaps don’t say you got it from a copyrighted? magazine if is it old enough and found on the internet also?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure if the magazine can copyright their photo of a piece of art that's in the public domain, (I think not) but how would a magazine know you used their photo of a masterwork to make your copy anyway? I personally wouldn't worry about it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

The picture I started with is from a book I've had since early 80's. I've kept it because I don't throw stuff away, and I like this picture. It has been in storage most of this time. I happened to think of it recently when thinking of another project and wanted some idea about how about how to do it. I did learn.
To answer your questions, I learned the book is a museum art department book, (C)1980, and the painting is apparently owned by that museum. The book itself seems to be a biography containing a few other both black and white and color photos of other paintings, owned also by other entities (not the museum.)

Typing the artist's name into google brings up ___paintings.com, complete works at .org, and a few others others. I really like his work--I have only recently seen more of it--in the last weeks as I worked on this one. I can learn a lot from them, and would like to do more. If I can safely offer them for sale, I'd like to.
I used a googled image to help understand parts of the book photo. Actually, because of the net, I was able to do more.

So,what do you think? Is there a copyright issue?

Last edited by ntl : 05-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
So,what do you think? Is there a copyright issue?

In my opinion, no.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 06:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Why not share the name of the painting & the artist?
You'll have to put the original artist's name on your painting anyway to clarify that it is copy/study /inspired by etc...
Usually one of these is written on the back of a copy..
In the style of XXX
Inspired by XXX
After XXX