Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Figure drawing community project – everyone is welcome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    epsylonix

Hey everyone!
        I suggested doing drawings of the same figure together like you would do in a real life class and a few people thought it was an interesting idea, so here it goes.

I believe drawing is a problem solving process even if you are drawing from life – you have to consider composition, values, perspective, what details to add and what to simplify, etc. And there are a lot of ways to do this. So drawing from the same figure give us an opportunity to see other solutions, learn new approaches and have some fun in the process :crossfingers:

Here is a reference photo from characterdesigns.com. Unfortunately there are no views from different angles, but it’s free and it looks great so let’s draw!

OK

Here is my pathetic effort.

Just remember working from photos won’t teach you very much, if you want to learn and can’t attend life sessions do master copies so you at least learn what good drawing is.
            :wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

epsylonix

Hi Dave! Thanks for participating!
                Here is my take on this:

it looked MUCH better before I scanned it :D

Just remember working from photos won’t teach you very much, if you want to learn and can’t attend life sessions do master copies so you at least learn what good drawing is.

Drawing from life is very useful but I don’t think it is fundamentally different from using photos. From my experience, the only important difference is that when you work from a photo there is a tendency to copy it, and when you copy you loose gesture. Any reference is just that – reference. It only matters what you do with that.
                By the way, I believe the same problem exists when you copy masters work – you don’t really appreciate the beauty in the drawing until you know what to look at exactly. The more advanced you are the more you learn from the process, contrary to what I initially thought.

I’m no expert though, so :)

Anyway, I hope more people will join, c’mon, this is fun!

OK

Drawing from life is very useful but I don’t think it is fundamentally different from using photos.

Working from life is so important there is no other way you can see the colours and tones, the edges and understand the form that is actually there. No camera will capture them for you. I was out painting in the rain on Thursday if you compare my painting and the photos I took of the scene you would not think it was the same place, the camera just lost all the colour. Also working from life I get to know the models personality and can try to incorporate that into the drawing.
                    There are no shortcuts you must work from life.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                    — Allen Ginsberg
                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

epsylonix

Dave, I agree with you, your point is valid. You should draw from life when possible and you should seek opportunities for that.

What I want to say is that not using photos in your practice in this age is counterproductive. I think beginners miss out on a tremendous opportunity for faster growth when they convince themselves (or someone else convinces them) that using photos is a bad taste or cheating. Old master used all kinds of cheats, like using manikins to help imagining the pose (Michelangelo) or dipping drapery in plaster to make it easier to draw (Leonardo). I have no doubt they would have used photos if they lived today. Most professional artists I’ve seen often use photos, though they certainly draw from life extensively. Anyway I think the magic of the process and the hardest part of it is to create something of your own from what you see, to put colors *you* want, lines *you* want, you don’t need perfect photo for that.

Consider this photo we’ve drawn from. Would you draw it differently if you were there, drawing from life? Would you put emphasis on the model’s personality then (are you able to talk with the model during a session? that’s cool!)? Maybe you can imagine the personality and incorporate that? What is you intention when you make a figure drawing?

For example I didn’t really want the personality here (to be frank I’m not that good yet to show the personality), I wanted to show the dynamics of line and the beauty of form. To understand the pose better I sat the way the model did, and I made several sketches trying different changes – I used a photo reference so I had a lot of time. I didn’t like the head position on the photo and the second light. So I changed those. Did I learn something from the process? Definitely! I count on more people posting their great drawings here and then I will learn even more. Now when I’ve drawn from the same reference I would better appreciate the work of others.

That’s my point – you should use every opportunity to become a better artist, and unless you can draw from life everyday you should use photo references. That’s not a shortcut, you have to put time in this too.
                        As a side note, I have no formal art education and I come from a different background so what I say is clearly not a professional opinion of an artist, but it is still based on a common sense =)

OK

There you go then, hope you don’t pick up to many bad habits along the way.

:wave: Dave

— Allen Ginsberg

I’ll join in with the drawings with this line drawing on A4.

Nathan.
                            C&C always appreciated.
                            My art on Instagram

roy-p

What a wonderful thread to come back to! Many thanks to Alex for starting this, and to Dave and Nathan for joining in. Some very illuminating discussion too! I like all three drawings, in very different styles (all individualistic) :thumbsup:

Here’s mine from a while ago (A3 page, Cretacolor hard lead and some watersoluble pencil for background, about an hour and 1/4). Yes, Character Designs by Hong Ly indeed is such a helpful reference source.

** Image linked through to a larger (1200 px) version.

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

lovin art

Here I stand in all my glory …Let the storm rage on ..the cold never bothered me anyway:D …ok I’m in frozen mode …been watching the Disney movie with my daughter …:) very impressive works ….all around …:clap:

Am I allowed to put my two cents in ….? :crossfingers:

Of course you are Alex.

Nathan.
                                    C&C always appreciated.
                                    My art on Instagram

epsylonix

Hey, there are already more participants than I expected, cool! =)

Nathan, great drawing, very accurate! Prosenjit, thats just epic, you can feel the volume and the space!

lovin art

Am I allowed to put my two cents in ….?

Alex, actually, you are encouraged:)

p.s. sorry for commenting on everyone by the way, that’s not patronizing, that’s being the “thread’s host” if that’s a thing :D

lovin art

Descartes Of course you are Alex.

Alex, actually, you are encouraged

:D ok thankyou both Nathan and Alex encouragement much appreciated thanks for that Alex , but I was actually meaning , the discussion on the merits of drawing from life and to photos …i actually am mostly a life artist …but I have and do from time to time use my photos mostly ,.. but in saying that , i agree with Nathan and Dave …nothing can ever take the place of real life drawing ….trust me …learning the anatomy is something you will never really understand just out of a text book .or from just from a flat 2d image ..my thoughts and just saying dont shoot the Singer of Disney movies …:D and thankyou humbly for letting me join in ….

im sorry i ran out of time and i had to stop , daughter duties …:D

roy-p

Thank you Alex (epsylonix), I value your insightful critique :)

Sandra (Alex) :wave: I see little effect of your prolonged lay-off of figure drawing (was reading your other, recent thread)… this is a beautiful sketch! Love the brisk strokes in her hair, and the core shadow zig-zagging down her torso, and the one along the roll of her mandible :thumbsup:

P r o s e n [/I]j i t . R o y[/B][/COLOR]

Flickr[FONT=Verdana] | Website | Blog[/COLOR]

lovin art

Sandra (Alex) :wave: I see little effect of your prolonged lay-off of figure drawing (was reading your other, recent thread)… this is a beautiful sketch! Love the brisk strokes in her hair, and the core shadow zig-zagging down her torso, and the one along the roll of her mandible :thumbsup:

Aww Gosh Sen ….what’s a girl to say to such lovely thoughts :D you humble me greatly with such a lovely description of my work , your work is awesome as ever I See fine Sir….and it’s so wonderful to see you , it’s been a while my dear friend …and you are very lovely to say this is beautiful , I hope so… (and not to sound big headed because I’m not as you know , just very passionate ) my drafting skills yes they haven’t seem to been effected to much and I’m quite surprised myself , I’m also a big believer in simplifying things when approaching the figure, but at the same time I’m looking at the core structure that makes the pose read as it should ….ok I’m dribbling considerable forgive me …:) :wave:

Lovely drawing Alex particularly the twist in her head and neck.

I had another and whilst it isn’t working at the moment I thought people might be interested in a different approach/medium. This is in air dry clay (I think it is paper based as it tears rather than stretches). I thought that because it would be difficult to extend the photo into three dimensions I’d build an armature to ensure that the overall dimension should be roughly right. This is in aluminium wire and is based on a 7.5 head figure and is about 9 inches high.

I found the clay difficult to work with at this scale though it was interesting to attempt it. I’ve also bagged it up so hopefully I can work on it some more.

Nathan.
                                                    C&C always appreciated.
                                                    My art on Instagram

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.