WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:36 AM

Hails from United States
New project, Please HELP

Not sure this is the forum I should post this, but I'm hoping to get some help since this is a home decor/decorative art project:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It all starts with an idea......

While remodeling our kitchen, I began researching various backsplash, aka splashback, products. Don't want anything to do with tiles or grout.

I thought it would be cool if I did a colorful 'back painting' on glass. I like the idea of glass 'cause I can get it in custom shapes, large pieces, and it's an easy cleanup material. The color would be placed on the backside of the glass against the wall, so I would not be touching the color at all after installation.

My question is, since I have never seen this done, what do I use for color? Paint, ink, etc? Is there special glass paint, ink? How do I apply it?

Do I need to prep the glass before I apply color?

Are there any video tutorials that show how to do 'Back Painting', and make an abstract design, or the illusion of texture, using paint or ink on glass?

If all goes well I may want to repeat the design on a glass dining room table top and glass cocktail table top. I'm probably going to need to get tempered glass, especially for the tables.

I would sincerely appreciate any advise or help on this new project, 'cause I haven't got the foggiest idea where to begin. Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Saint Johns, Florida (north of St. Augustine)

Hails from United States
Re: New project, Please HELP

things are a bit quiet over this weekend but someone is bound to help out. I wouldn't even consider anything but tempered glass as you never know what may hit the backsplash and it would be enough of a mess to clean up without the shards from untempered. I wouldn't use glass in that area just because of food prep etc. but it is up to you of course.

there have been several posts about kitchen areas that have been painted-some tromp l'oeil, that have been awesome. some painted on the walls, others on panels and then installed. everything coated so it would be easy to clean as well.

You could still repeat any design you choose on a glass table or other.

Do a google search for Reverse painting on glass-lots of sites and some videos. That may help you decide. please let us know what you discover and when you make a decision. welcome!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM

DecoArt makes paint specifically designed for glass. You can see it at: http://www.decoart.com/products/prod...lass_only.html

There are also glass stains (resulting in a stained-glass kind of look).
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM

Hope you found what you needed at DecoArt's website (decoart.com). I really love the idea of you painting the back splash -- love to see the results, please load up photos at some point.