WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada
Desert Sagebrush

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Desert Sagebrush
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted to paint the redness of the rocks and of the desert.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I feel it lacks the perspective/depth of a desert scene with the huge rocks in the background. Is it because of the colours I used? How can I change it?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States
Re: Desert Sagebrush

I have converted your image to grey scale so you can see your values. The darks in the red rocks are as strong as your foreground accents. Try making them much lighter. You will also notice how the foreground accents are spotty looking because they are not connected in any manner. Try making them a bit lighter and use shadows or something to connect them visually if not physically. The foreground flat plane is the same color and value in the front as it is in the back near the mountain. Think front to back and lighten and change the color of the ground there. Your sage brushes are all pretty much the same size, shape and color. Again make the ones closer to you bigger and get smaller and more greyed as you go back. Save one or two to bring out the high lights as a lead in and soften the rest so your eye is not jumping all over the place while trying to get to the red rocks. You will also notice that your sky is almost the same value as the land. It should be the lightest value in this painting as that is your source of light. Then the flat ground and then the uprights should be the darkest values. This is a bright cheery painting with a few adjustments will make it really show not only the depth but the sunny day you are wanting to show.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Great observations Christine. The grayscale pic. shows all the errors. The rules of depth and distance: overlapping, cooler colours and less detail in the distance, bigger objects and stronger colours in the foreground. I thought I knew all that... but seem to forget when I paint.
I am not sure what you mean by "Then the flat ground and then the uprights should be the darkest values" You mean the ground closest to the viewer?

Thanks, that helps a lot.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

yay, contrast!

darken the foreground contrast and stand back to have a look
before you lighten the coi mountain

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Boones Mill, VA

Hails from United States

I wouldn't lighten the whole moutain either. Just those really dark darks that show in the grey scale.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Maybe you could put a very thin layer of pale blue and a cool pale purple over the rocks - still to keep them very red, but have the look of distance with the blueish. This might slightly lighten it at the same time. Then make the front bushes darker and have more shadows. Of course it's easy for all of us to sit back and tell you what to do - when you are the one who has to paint it.

I really like your exaggerated color scheme. I think it adds interest.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thanks for all suggestions and comments. The foreground definitely needs more detail and contrast to differentiate it from the back near the mountains.

Thanks again.