Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Press blankets?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ploverwing

OK with all this press talk going around – I’ve only used a large etching press a very long time ago (and more recently a scraper bar press and some kind of Vandercook editioning press). I don’t know anything about the blankets – can someone tell me what blanket(s) I’d need for pulling linos & reliefs? I’ll not be doing any etchings (at least not any time soon). Not that I’ll necessarily be getting my self a press any time soon, but… sometimes miracles do happen!! :angel:

[FONT=Century Gothic]Amie Roman, AFCA
        Burnishings - Blog on Printmaking * Burnishings - ploverwing on Etsy * Printmaking on Squidoo

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"
        [/COLOR]
        bridog

for relief prints I don’t use blankets at all (when I run my blocks under a roller)
            just a good old piece of solid paper board (like illustration board) or a nice smooth piece of 1/8 inch birch plywood set on top of the paper on the block.
            The pressure gauges on my press are set so that really the roller is using it’s own weight on top of the block and board to transfer the ink. You don’t need to push the paper into the block like you would with an intaglio print.
            Some people use one blanket on top of the block and paper for relief printing.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
            visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

deant

When I print relief, I have been using a single, woven blanket
                (the pusher). Getting the pressure dialed in properly takes a little
                fiddling, but I find that without a blanket it is difficult to get large
                plates to print evenly.

Dean

Dean Russell Thompson
                Artist & Printmaker - Loveland, Colorado, USA

JenZ

I never use press blankets with my press (I do woodcuts). I was taught to lay your paper down on the bed, ink your block, and then put your block down face-first on the paper. Then crank it through the press. No blankets necessary!

Jen

Jen (and Jack & Lela too!)
                    Our Blog -South Side Ramblings

Diane Cutter

When I use a press on my woodcuts, I tend to work as Jen does… paper on bed, woodcut face down. I do put a piece of newsprint or scrap paper on top of the block since I tend to be a little messy and it eliminates cleaning the roller… :rolleyes:

Diane

ploverwing

Thanks Brian, Dean & Jen!

Jen – I would have thought you’d need something to protect the rollers over time? But perhaps not. That’s interesting the way you were taught; the very few times I’ve done block printing with a press, it was the other way around (block then paper).

Thanks everyone!

Burnishings - Blog on Printmaking * Burnishings - ploverwing on Etsy * Printmaking on Squidoo

[/COLOR]
                            JenZ

Amie, I do have “runners” that are the same height as my MDF blocks… I put them on either side of my block, so the roller doesn’t bump up against the block as I crank it. The roller just rides on the runners the whole time.

I’m probably not explaining this right! I should try to get a picture.

Jen

Jen (and Jack & Lela too!)
                                Our Blog -South Side Ramblings

Industry

Interesting that so few use blankets!

I work primarily with linocuts with Mipolan Linoleum, so perhaps it is different for me. However, when I was at college, we used blankets and put the plate down and the paper on top.

After I got my press and talked to Mel Whelan, he convinced me to try making templates for all of my pieces (out of 1/4″ board) and putting the piece inside (face up), and then the paper on top (which is great for registration and also for helping the white areas to stay white). Then I use their combo of wool blanket and then a rubber type blanket (http://whelanpress.com/etching_blankets/index.html), which helps the roller to climb the template block.

Anyway, that’s how I do it!

Shawn

ploverwing

Amie, I do have “runners” that are the same height as my MDF blocks… I put them on either side of my block, so the roller doesn’t bump up against the block as I crank it. The roller just rides on the runners the whole time.

Gotcha!! Yup, that makes a lot of sense.

After I got my press and talked to Mel Whelan, he convinced me to try making templates for all of my pieces (out of 1/4″ board) and putting the piece inside (face up), and then the paper on top (which is great for registration and also for helping the white areas to stay white).

I’ve used something similar with litho stones, and it is a great way to do things, especially useful for registration.

[/COLOR]
                                        artjourneyer

I have used only the woven blankets for both linocut and intaglio work. Does anyone have a personal review of the use of the rubber blankets that I’ve been told might be good for collagraph printing? Thanks in advance!
                                            Donna

Artjourneyer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.