WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Halloween theme! do you do do-overs?

intro:
in the finishing stretches of a commissioned graphite work i'm about to start an ink version of the image, primarily for learning ink but of course with high hopes and a serious undertone. the plan is testing nibs and a fun bamboo pen/brush with a coarsely carved tip. i see hours of fun ahead, but also a quite considerable pile of paper growing under the table, and some of those sheets contain hours of prep...

question:
how do you repeat your ground? i'm used to oils where all schmuts will disappear completely. not sure how to copy the outlines now, without a copy machine and with services too far away. are there options to the Da Vinci method, perforating a sketch and brushing graphite through the holes?

Halloween part! 🍊🌚🍁
do you have a horror story with a ticking clock, a faulty nib, a heave up of a brush, a curious pet or anything imploding, falling or rolling? a story with a pumpkin or pastry remnants gets a gold star 😀

have a good weekend!

Last edited by ronsu18 : 10-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 11:48 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: Halloween theme! do you do do-overs?

Use tracing paper?
Or, if it's just practice without wanting it to be archival, try printing a copy and working over it? You could always 'white-out' areas in an edit before printing.

Sorry no ideas for scare stories ... except finding things in places they really shouldn't be! ... that happens to me!

My neighbour 'sees' things and people but this week, due to infection, she hallucinated about things streaming from beneath furniture and skirting boards .... and hundreds of spaghetti-like strings on the walls ..... she was trying to catch them and sweep them up .... must have been frightening!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

hi! and thank you!
i've no tracing paper, i once ordered some via local sundries shop and got something frightfully purple and readily staining. they're still somewhere but, yikes. it's always the same here, i've a cupboard full of stuff and never what i need. that goes for a printer as well (although it's on the list). my neighbour has one of course, but not one that fits A3.

been thinking about scraps helpful in constituting a light box. it's not optimal with 200-250gsm paper but it should work. i'd have to build it first though. DaVinci still in the lead.

so you've been careful and avoided all accidents with ink, congratulations are in order! the other thing is probably them elves and that's a Christmassy story 😊. i'm sorry to hear about your neighbour, what a frightening condition due to infection, sending her get well soon wishes. a remainder to do what we can to stay healthy and in working order.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

...and having spent the day researching this, guess what, tracing&transfer with graphite is the only option. thanks again
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
hi! and thank you!
i've no tracing paper, i once ordered some via local sundries shop and got something frightfully purple and readily staining. they're still somewhere but, yikes. it's always the same here, i've a cupboard full of stuff and never what i need. that goes for a printer as well (although it's on the list). my neighbour has one of course, but not one that fits A3.

been thinking about scraps helpful in constituting a light box. it's not optimal with 200-250gsm paper but it should work. i'd have to build it first though. DaVinci still in the lead.

so you've been careful and avoided all accidents with ink, congratulations are in order! the other thing is probably them elves and that's a Christmassy story 😊. i'm sorry to hear about your neighbour, what a frightening condition due to infection, sending her get well soon wishes. a remainder to do what we can to stay healthy and in working order.
What you received was not tracing paper, but carbon paper. Tracing paper is a see through white paper.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast

that's right! thank you!
the english language was in the way. when reading "tracing" in Maureen's reply i thought of carbon paper. the see through rattling roll of crispy white paper i have and use for transferring also says "tracing paper" 😒.