Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Work in progress – How to make trees

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Raichu

Party sunday and a family lunch over the piece of land my family bought. I decided to make a quick miniature plein air there and came up with this, not yet finnished:

I have a tree to make on the left and will wait for this to dry. I had trouble with the more yellow one and want to know if working on layers will make them not suck. I’m yet to learn how to make trees… perhaps someone can share his secrets process? I have a free week and could use my time experimenting in how to make the buggers.

This is the view of the place:

And here are some sneaky photos of the location. It is a nice place to relax.

Instagram <- recent stuff [URL=https://www.artstation.com/bsouzap"]Artstation[/URL] [URL=https://baghe.deviantart.com/"]Deviantart[/URL]

jnicholes

Hello,

Here is how I make trees, it might work for you.

First, you need to know that I use the Bob Ross wet-on-wet technique. You might not use this technique, but I still have a way for you to make trees.

Depending on the types of paint to use, the first thing that you would do from my experience is make the low lights for the tree. Then, after that, you would make the trunk. After that, you would put the highlights on. Make sure you do not cover all the dark. Keeping dark in there will add depth to your tree.

If you need to dry the paint before painting over it, you can put the low lights on, let it dry, then the trunk, let it dry, then the highlights.

This is from my experience with oil paints. The only difference is I do everything while the painting is still wet.

I hope this works for you,

Jared

BeLing

What a beautiful area! You have a lot of painting ahead of you.

How I work is block in the big shapes, paying attention only to darks and lights. I tend to outline shapes, but later I will often paint into the lines, so the outlines aren’t so obvious.

If you look at things as shapes and volumes (rather than particular things) you’ll treat a tree much as a stone. Remember, you’re making a painting, not a tree. Look carefully, respond, and surprise yourself with what you paint. At least, that’s kind of what I do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.