Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Storage of paintings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ttest47

Unfortunately, i had to vacate my studio recently, so I am in a quandry as to the best option for storing my paintings for the next several months. I have two limited choices–a temperature controlled but dark “self storage” 8′ x10′ locker or a basement where the paintings will get limited sunlight but where the temperature varies greatly and there may be some humidity (dampness). I imagine neither option is ideal, but would anyone care to advise me? It would be greatly appreciated!

ttest47

P.S. they are all oil paintings.

Humbaba

You need to avoid humidity. Lack of sunlight is not such a big deal, but a mold on the canvas is something that once there it will require cleaning that could damage the material

contumacious

The basement does not sound good.

I am assuming the concern about the total darkness is the darkening of the oil? It isn’t a big deal if they darken since they will lighten up quickly when exposed to reflected daylight in an interior room. You don’t need to put them in direct sunlight for it to work, though some do as it is significantly faster.

I have always used climate controlled storage and never had an issue.

Angel :angel:
                    Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                    http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

ttest47

Sorry for my belated response. Looks like climate controlled dark storage is the best option. Thanks for your replies!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.