Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Smelly soft pastels ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nerys51

I was recently gifted a set of soft pastels which family member bought for me at shop Hobby Lobby in the USA.Hobby Lobby The Artist’s Soft Pastels set.
        There is a slight unusual strange chemical scent to them? I am not sure what it is? Does anyone know?
        My other brands of pastels have no scent, no smell at all, those are from EU.
        The box says made in Korea by Mungyo. I am not familiar with that brand.I looked up Mungyo website and they say is a good brand of products.
        The box has no mention of ingredients. Pastels are pigments and some binder, but this smells like some sort of added something but I do not know what it is?:confused:

water girl

I have never noticed an odor in my Mungyo soft pastels. Here is an email address for the company. [email protected] and their website is http://www.mun-gyo.co.kr I would certainly contact them and would you mind sharing what they tell you? Thank you.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

That’s weird… I have three different kinds of Mungyo soft pastels… the semi-hards, the handmade ones, and the soft skinny sticks.
            None of them smell… do you think maybe it is something in the packaging?

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

CarlyHardy

Mungyo also makes oil pastels and they will have a slight odor. I have their soft pastels and no odor from the soft.

Barbara WC

I had a set of Mungyo soft pastel years ago and don’t remember an odor. Like another poster mentioned, some oil pastels do have an odor, but to me they smell like wax.

Maybe the pastels were stored next to something that had and odor and perhaps the box absorbed the odor? Try taking a few sticks away from the box and air them out for a few days to see if the odor dissipates.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.