WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Ravens - New Gelatin Prints

I'm trying a Raven Series in my Gelatin Plate Prints. Here are a couple - not the best photo reproductions as they were snapped on the drying line in a dark basement. A bit about what crows jabber about out there on the icy streets.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States
Re: Ravens - New Gelatin Prints

neat prints, mstuarte.

we have plenty of crows here in the city in the winter months and i always wondered what they were talking about. now i know

i took my first shot at gelatin plates this week. this was the first print:

for lack of a better title, i just call it: "Trees by a Stream in the Fall."

it measures about 7 x 5 inches (18 x 13mm) and was done on some cheap paper i got from Dick Blick's.

started with a smear of yellow, then some red, and finally black.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Ron:
I like the painterly quality of the print. I've just started to mess with the ink on the surface beyond rolling it and marking or stenciling it. Try some stiff coated magazine paper or thin cardboard stencils or leaves or stems to add some surprise.

Crows always struck me as being more into language vs. Mathematics... but I give them the benefit of the doubt. They are certainly into numbers (as a murder of crows is a fairly good number)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

i made the gelatin plate and let it sit for about three days. by day three it was starting to get a bit wrinkled on top.

it was still a bit "tacky" and didn't like to be inked with a roller, so i just grabbed a foam brush and spread the ink around - which may explain the "painterly" quality.

by my very small post count, you can see i'm very much a newb at this type of work. i'm also doing some carving on lino blocks and etching into plexiglass. I have a friend that is mentoring my progress.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath
i made the gelatin plate and let it sit for about three days. by day three it was starting to get a bit wrinkled on top.

it was still a bit "tacky" and didn't like to be inked with a roller, so i just grabbed a foam brush and spread the ink around - which may explain the "painterly" quality.

by my very small post count, you can see i'm very much a newb at this type of work. i'm also doing some carving on lino blocks and etching into plexiglass. I have a friend that is mentoring my progress.

Experimenting is the fun part! I try to keep my plate refrigerated (which reminds me... it is idling on the back porch where it is under 10 degrees! ouch!) I'll just have to thaw it out. If kept cool, it keeps for a couple weeks. When it get nasty and cracked, I'll chop it up, microwave for 3-4 minutes in a glass bowl, pour and reform in my cookie sheet pan. Tho some mold and pits/cracks makes for an interesting image. Of course check out Linda Germain's Printing without a Press page for great tips on Gelatin plate printing
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuarte
Of course check out Linda Germain's Printing without a Press page for great tips on Gelatin plate printing

a friend of mine sent a link to linda's videos and that what got me inspired to try the gelatin.

i just hit your papawheelie link and you have some very good information posted there.

i'll try it again, thanks.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath
a friend of mine sent a link to linda's videos and that what got me inspired to try the gelatin.

i just hit your papawheelie link and you have some very good information posted there.

i'll try it again, thanks.

Thanks! yeah I've tried to use the ink rolling template and a (casual) print template to keep my images somewhat uniformly sized. It also allows for some approximate 'registration' if I want to over print with the same stencil for different colors and effects. The slightly off kilter registration leads to interesting effects too. A by product of uniform sizing is that multiples of the prints look great paired or even as 3-4 side by side. It's easy for me to complete 15-25 monoprints in a 3-5 day period. I can really see an effect or an image study evolve in a short period of time.

MArk
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuarte
It's easy for me to complete 15-25 monoprints in a 3-5 day period.

MArk

If you can crank out that kind of volume, have you ever checked out http://www.artomat.org/ ?

I'm a contributor there, although not in the blockmaking field. my art work there is largely photography.