WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: SparrowHawk7 (Ken)

Hi Joe,

I'm glad you have found my art and comments of use. Drawing is a skill and generally not as difficult as we initially think. It takes practice, of course, and time to get good, but with practice and the desire it can be done.

I mentioned cats as easy for two reasons. To me, they are not very hard because I do love them. But secondly, I have always found hair and fur to be intuitive to me and they don't present any problems. Most artists tend to find drawing hair very intimidating but in reality, it's just another texture that can be done reasonably using a few tricks. Again, it's just practice really.

This beard, for instance, took me about an hour to draw by using some techniques I worked out. I don't draw each hair but rather try to get the general texture correct.

Cats are indeed trickier because you have to take light into more consideration to shape their bone structure, the ambient lighting and try to make the texture look like you want to touch it. White fur, for instance, is rarely actually white - generally shades of gray due to shadows. But the technique is identical to beards or any hair, really.

Keep on practicing. It's the only way to get better.And spend a lot of time on the eyes. They are the windows to the soul and the key to a successful drawing - man or beast.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Hi Ken,

I hardly post here in D&S, was a regular a long time ago though.
Just wanted to tell you that I'm very sorry to hear of your bouts of misfortune.
I've seen how talented you are and your gift offering of portraits is priceless!
I've also seen how willing and able you are to help fellow artists here, and your peers hold you in the highest regards, certainly!
Wishing a smooth recovery for you.

Great to see you back!

Tim
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hi Tim ... of course I remember you. Thank you for your kind words. I can't remember who it was that said "when life throws you a bunch of lemons, make lemonade" but I have always found that to be great advice. It is a complete waste of time to sit down and feel sorry for yourself. The only way to get on with life is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on going. All the misfortune that has come my way over the years and more recently is really nothing more than speed bumps in life. They are just challenges for me to figure out and eventually deal with and overcome. And no matter how badly I might think I have it there are many others who have things much worse.

I haven't picked up a pencil in around 8 years now but, at least for myself, I bet I can pick up near where I left off because I have spent a great deal of time considering what, how and why I did things so that I thoroughly understand myself and my techniques. So it's more an issue of just picking up the pencils and letting my muscle memory go to work again. My eyes are a bit older of course, but they're still pretty sharp and able to see. And I will share my progress (although I am always pretty slow) so others can watch or perhaps learn something but almost more importantly I will get some new images to use to explain or show something I might be talking about in answering questions or making suggestions.

Nice to see you here again!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 AM

Ken, I wanted to thank you very much for your response with your encouragement and advice (on the beard or the fur of the animals), I appreciate it very much, thank you, yes, your advice is all really valuable and helped me and help me a lot, I keep coming back and I should do it more often to internalize the whole thing better, maybe the more complicated ones but to many things like shape of the pupil or the importance of experimenting, don't be afraid of a blank sheet to start a drawing again (these are things to which I often think of only thanks to you), in any case I will continue to practice and to practice the eyes, yes, some maybe I will repeat them (but maybe this better later after other drawings), in others I will use several new subjects, new photos, in both the ways I will continue to practice, to practice the eyes that are wonderful and as you say they are then very important also for the drawing (in fact now that you make me think about it if I look at a drawing or a qua dro the eyes are perhaps the first thing that attracts and eventually captures).
It will be wonderful and enriching to see your work. You are an incredible artist and a wonderful person.
Best wishes
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 10:21 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

I'm so glad you are home, and also so sorry about your health and the things that happened while you were away.
I do hope for a if not speedy, at least forward progress on your recovery and the redo of your home.
Do take good care of yourself!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/