Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching -Hyperrealism- help on portrait in charcoal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    I would approach to hyperrealism in portrait, even if I used mostly garphite, I have to admit that my favourite media is charcoal. I have senn on instagram a lot of masterpieces dove with extreme detail, I would have a reference as a course where I can learn more about hyperrealism.

My approach, so far, is develope tones layer by layer, if I use graphite pencil usually I start with harder pencil going to softer pencils adding details.

When I use Charcoal, usually I use softer pencil in order to have darkest areas, and the q/tips or stumps to blend on grey areas.

These two approaches don’t work for hyperrealism, I have seen some videos, and it seems that artist doesn’t develop feature by feature, but “area by area” almost in geometrical manner.

Can someone share tips, reference as online video or books on this subject?

Tank you!
    Francesco
    :)

If you are really interested in learning about hyperrealism you have to see the works done by Dirk Dzymirski. I attended a workshop with him when he came to USA. The work if done correctly can take many hours to accomplish something. You have to be very dedicated to do this. This website may give you an idea.
    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1395098

Thank you very much for your suggestion, unfortunately I’ll be not able to join a workshop as live training, I’ll try to figure out if workshop should be available as DVD or online video. BTW, thanks again for your tips.

Francesco

joe1It

hi francesco, I don’t know if Zhaoming Wu
        but I wrote you in the other post.

Moises
        thanks for the link and information,
        I wanted to tell you that your design is a true masterpiece, wonderful.

:wave:

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

hi francesco, I don’t know if Zhaoming Wu
        but I wrote you in the other post.

Moises
        thanks for the link and information,
        I wanted to tell you that your design is a true masterpiece, wonderful.

:wave:

Thank you. I did attend a workshop with Dirk but he did not reveal his secrets fully. However, I caught it while he was drawing a portrait. This hyperrealism style is an enhancement of a realistic work that requires patience and time.

Reinhard1

I had the privilege to have Dirk a whole week alone. The other participants of the workshop had to cancel.
            What I have learned from his is to build up the large shapes and forms for light to dark. Starting with an F pencil he hatches the areas and the blends it out with a tissue. Increasing the tones by adding softer and softer leads until he has reached the darkest areas, Always blending it all out with the tissue. The he starts to work with an eraser to lighten until he reaches – area by small area – the desired value. At the same time Dirk uses a harder lead to work out the details of the skin, using practically the graphite on the paper with a harder lead. His advice, as far as the skin is concerned ‘follow the flow of the skin to achieve realism’.
            That is basically it. If you want, it is a form of the 5 pencil method, expanded by intently lifting with a kneaded eraser.
            Caveat, I have been working with graphite only and not with charcoal. Dirk did not do it that time.
            Hope it helped.

Cheers , Reinhard
            How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

joe1It

Moises, Reinhard1, thank you for the information, yes, I imagine that it takes a lot of technique and also a lot of patience and the right time, I think it’s really difficult and unbelievable (even relism is),
                *But the results are wonderful, you make real masterpieces.

Reinhard must have been a great experience, thanks for the explanations, they help to understand part of this and to appreciate these works even more.

Can I ask a stupid question? But for drawings, but also for realism (or not too accurate realism) is it necessary to draw using large sheets?
                Format, A2, a3?
                Is it wrong to use a4 sheets? I had bought a4 and a5 skecthbooks and a4 albums in recent years.
                since I discovered forum I am trying to use bigger sheets (and I bought a3 album even if 90 g m2, I think I should get better sheets at bigger then).
                And that I had a tendency to draw, small splashes and I have small drawing space and a table tripod a3.
                If I understand,
                Charcoal (or pastels) require larger dimensions, sheets a2 and perhaps a3, while pencil drawing perhaps goes well with smaller format, a4?
                thank you, good weekend

- C & C welcome ( comments and criticisms highly appreciated)

— NOT allowed for Al training

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.