Home Forums Explore Media Scratchboard Art Scratchboard sealant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane R.

I’m new to this community. I’ve been doing scratchboard for years and most of the time the recommended acrylic finish (Krylon) has provided a smooth mirror-like surface. The last 2 cans I’ve bought have resulted in an “orange peel” look. I’m baffled how to get around this. Any ideas?

jonc50

If you have no alternative, you could try wet sanding the finish which may need a definite extra covering of Krylon so that you don’t go through in the low spots. Then you would need to use a fine (maybe 1000 or higher) silicon carbide water proof paper to put the clear coat back to normal. Use it with a block to keep the pressure evenly applied. Nikken has the paper up to 2000 Cw. which will bring an evenly smooth finish. Try it on something else first until you get the hang of it.

ccollins

I use final fixatives designed for pastels – the brands available from Dick Blick are constantly changing, but I spend a little extra here for good results – All those hours of work, then the heartbreak of the wrong spray to ruin it all…Nope, Final Fixative, sometimes workable fixative between layers of color, or to adhere pan pastels…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.