Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Ebay Promoted Listings?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Tried them? How did they work for you?

I am trying them out, you pay only if you sell.

Robin

contumacious

I used to sell thousands of dollars a month on ebay. Today, I refuse to list there. I literally despise ebay. They fill YOUR listings with links to similar items listed by your competition. Their disdain for sellers is unbelievable. ebay is all about catering to the buyer only and raking in their exorbitant fees.

Harold Roth

This is just what Etsy does–putting links to other sellers on your own page as it displays to buyers.

I never tried to sell my art on ebay because I have had negative experiences selling other items on there.

How is ebay doing for you, RobinZ?

contumacious

This is just what Etsy does–putting links to other sellers on your own page as it displays to buyers.

Certainly Etsy and Ebay won’t allow sellers to advertise other competing sites or off site sales listing on their Etsy / Ebay listings, yet that is essentially what Etsy / Ebay are doing – trying to pull buyers AWAY from your items! If everyone selling there when they first started doing this kind of rude marketing crap had stopped listing stuff, they would have pulled that flawed idea in a heartbeat. I guess the sellers only have themselves to blame for putting up with it. The sites I sell on don’t pull that type of baloney.

Harold Roth

A lot of people on ebay and Etsy do not have a very professional attitude about their business and act like the platform is doing them a favor by allowing them to sell there rather than it being that the platform is in the business of profiting off sellers. I think that is one way they are able to get away with this stuff. Still, some people do make a good living off ebay and even Etsy.

bongo

The other way to look at it – Your item gets featured on other listings that have items similar to yours – which gives you more reach and a chance to make a sale that you would not otherwise.

The downside is if YOU direct a contact you’ve made on another platform to Ebay to see your listing – they will then also see the other offers. (although they probably know how to do that on their own).

One strategy might be to NOT direct your contacts to Ebay, but sell directly to them or thru an exclusive listing… but still list on Ebay as well – this way you can take advantage of the reach and popularity of Ebay without risking your contacts to another seller.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                            STUDIOBONGO

bokaba

I have sold perhaps 40 or so paintings on eBay in the last six months or so. Only a small percentage of them are through promoted listings (you can check you orders to see if the buyer clicked to your listing through an ad or not). Ebay recently made it available to most everyone, so now the promotional fees are sky-rocketing.

Harold Roth

bokaba, are you basically using ebay as an ecommerce platform, a way for people to buy? And promoting your art elsewhere, like Instagram or whatever? Or are you sales originating with ebay shoppers?

I ask because no matter where I put my art, 90% of my buyers come from my acquaintance with them on Facebook. Like I had someone this past week contact me about buying one of my paintings she saw on Instagram, but I already knew her from Facebook.

Deleted by author

I’ve been selling, off and on, on both Ebay and Etsy almost since their inceptions.  They, and similar platforms, are shopping malls.  Their concerns are twofold:

1. Getting shoppers into the mall.
                                    2. Getting shoppers to spend money inside the mall – the mall does not care what stores the shoppers enter, only that they spend money.

In a B&M mall:

• Shoppers see multitudes of publicly displayed products from almost as many stores. A shopper can be in a store, look out the store’s windows and see competing stores & products.
                                    • And shoppers in other stores can look out those windows and see your store/products.
                                    • If you, as a  shop operator, want advertising inside the mall, you pay for those banners announcing your sale, or whatever it is you want the mall to put in front of shoppers.
                                    • Rents go up as the economic landscape changes.

There is no moral or ethical reason to expect an online shopping mall to be any different. Each store/shop is given the same opportunity to present their products as the next one. You’re there to make money – why shouldn’t the mall make money?  After all, the mall spent millions of dollars up front to give you the opportunity to make money.

If you have a product shoppers want and offer it at a fair price, you’ll make sales.   If a shopper sees a similar product at a better price or what they consider to be better quality they may, or may not, buy that one.  It is not the mall’s fault,  nor is it their responsibility to give any shop unfair advantage over other shops.

I admit, I do not understand why a business that makes a fair profit in one location would close it down because the businesses around it are afforded the same opportunities. What’s that saying about cutting off one’s nose to spite the face?

Now, go forth and sell.  Or not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.