Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Shetland (Mark 2)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rossmarie

Hello everyone

I’ve become quite engrossed in the new TV series of ‘Shetland’ where, in the first episode on Tuesday, D.I. Jimmy Perez and assistant Tosh inspect a severed leg washed up on the beach. Here they are doing just that. Following John’s comments on my previous Shetland painting, I have managed to incorporate a traditional Shetland boat in the present painting, which, apart from the boat and bits and bobs around it, is from my imagination. Thought a dark sky might be a suitable counterpoint to the sunlit foreground. Hope you like it and enjoy the TV series in due course ( if you can decipher the strong scottish accents which even I as an Englishman find hard!)

15×11 in. on Arches 300lb NOT

Mike :)

FrankM

Nice, Mike! I believe Jimmy would say something like, “Guid payne-teeng!”

FrankM

Beautiful painting, Mike. The boat is the center of interest, but there is still more happening in the painting to move our eyes around and enjoy the rest of the scene and wonder what those people are doing in the background (for those who didn’t see the show). :D

Sylvia

ErnstG

Magnificent foreground, great depth and atmosphere –
                what more could you want!?

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Bill

Love the boat, Mike, and the rain clouds and water are great. I guess you and I are into Shetland.
                    Bill

Be kinder than necessary

KiwiKate

Love it Mike. Great depth and lovely sky as always.

Kate
                        Henderson, Nevada
                        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

astaman

Hi Mike. Another excellent painting. The light is fine and I would leave the sky if it were my painting. In terms of composition I think the line of the lighter hill in the foreground and the line of the boat work really well. You’ve got you triangles well worked out.

The boat is very good. Shetland model boats are not all the same. Your one looks like a Ness Yoal which is a Shetland model from the south mainland area of Shetland. Characteristically they were designed to work in the dangerous tidal waters off Sumburgh Head and are sleeker and lower in gunwale in the middle of the boat than most Shetland models. If you Google ‘ness yoal’ you’ll see lots under ‘images’. There is a beautiful example here made by Fair Isle boat building genius Ian Best for the Smithsonian Institute.

https://iscc.marinersmuseum.org/watercraft/ness-yoal/

Lovely work. John

vegaskip

Lovely painting, once again it says Shetland. I’d tone down the people and maybe a bit of shadow to connect them to the ground.
                                Jim

Beautifully done Mike.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

rossmarie

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Frank – yes I hope so.
                                    Bill – we are devotees!
                                    John – thanks for the google link. I’ve had a look and agree I have painted a
                                    Ness Yoal. I love the shape!

Jim – I thought about shadow but they seem so far away?

jscottb

Mike, Nice painting. I am so glad to find out that you, too, have trouble understanding him. Two glasses of wine and I am having to start over at the beginning. :)

hoylander

A lovely painting, Mike, I’d love to be there!! Though I love to hear them I find I have to turn up the volume a little to stand any chance with the accent..

Joan :wave:
                                            rossmarie

Thanks Joan & Scott. I sat right next to the TV for the first episode and was often none the wiser! Complaints on sound/accents to BBC please!

vegaskip

Waat Dja fink yooze ar ply’n et mite. Dis int Wallford. Noe wot ah mean ? And we have that 4 times a week, every week!
                                                    Jim

Zeldaquatic

Beautiful painting !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.