Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Leopard in Pastels WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Craig Husband

So I had this amazing gift for Christmas. Conte A Paris Bamboo set and Stabilo Carbothello pencils. I have never used pastel before, but thought I’d give it a go. The blending potential for backgrounds is amazing, but I’m struggling with the fine detail at the moment. I suppose I just need to carry on and see how it goes. I welcome C&C, this is my first time and I could benefit from any help. The colours are not correct at the moment for the leopard as I have just put down the base layer. Let me know what you think…

This is 30cm x 40cm using Pastelmat paper

Thanks in advance.

Craig

| CJH Wildlife Art |
        Instagram

| www.cjhwildlifeart.co.uk |
        Triduana

Looking great so far, lots of nice detail in the fur. Lovely look in the eyes too. I’ll be following progress :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

fedetony

Agree…looks great

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Renate0713

Very nice. Looking great

robertsloan2

Looking wonderful so far! Love the pose and modeling. Fur textures are great! It helps to layer with the pastel pencils, you can go in and lighten darker areas with a few soft strokes. I like the way you have warm centers on some of the rosettes already.

Pastel’s a wonderful medium. There’s so much you can do with it and it’s as reworkable as oils, maybe even more so. If you do have any problems, lifting out is as easy as brushing off an area or lifting with a kneaded eraser if you just delicately want to lighten an application before adding more (restore tooth).

On Pastelmat paper, your first layers will stick where you put them. I love this about it, but it’s one of its quirks. Blending and glazing happen more on the 3d and 4th and so on layers. Up side, you’re not necessarily taking up color from the underlayer when you lay a stroke over the underlayer – so things like a white whisker over dark come through very bright and clean.

Your blended background is gorgeous. Your carefully delineated spots are beautiful. Study the reference close for lighting effects on the dark spots though, there may be a blue-gray sheen over some of them or colors may reflect onto them especially in lit areas. That can be added with very light strokes over what you have though, it’s the sort of thing relevant as a finishing touch.

Looking forward to more!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Craig Husband

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. Going to try to work on the tree foreground today. I started the bark on the right hand side but it just doesnt look very lifelike to me. I’m guessing this will be a case of building it up and completing the whole thing before it comes together.

Craig

| CJH Wildlife Art |
                            Instagram

Looking good. Will be pulling up a chair. Thanks for sharing.

Chammi
                            My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Let’s all watch in anticipation! Looks great even at the beginning stages.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Craig Husband

Well here’s the update for the last two days. I’m starting to feel a bit better about this piece, though I am known to regularly throw my work to one side…so much so that I only completed one piece out of 10 last year :( !!. I’m still unsure about the bark of the tree where I have added the detail to the right, but am hoping as I continue, it will start to look OK and that I don’t lose faith. It’s at least at a stage where I have an idea of the final outcome, but there’s still a lot of work to go. Hope you all like the progress and again, any hints or tips are more than welcome.

Craig

| CJH Wildlife Art |
                                Instagram

omichle

It looks really great. I’m kinda jealous.:cat:

Natalie.

Skappy

Looking good so far I like the bg

lisapencil

Looking really good so far. :cat:

KareBear94

It’s really coming along nicely, the texture in the fur is great :)

Boafamily

The is turning out great.

jonc50

Very nice work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.