Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity The Book Club Harley Brown’s eternal truths….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 835 total)
  • Author
    Kenny

I just picked this book up yesterday and am starting through it. I like the guy’s attitude, which is the impetus for buying it. What do other’s think. Is his advice useful?

Also here is a link to some of his quotes:
        http://www.painterskeys.com/auth_search.asp?name=Harley%20Brown

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
        "Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

FriendCarol

Thanks for the link; I enjoyed those quotations! Sorry, not familiar with the book — or even the painter. :o

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
            Robert Genn[/I]

blindhorse

I own the book and have read it. I think he’s got some good common sense things to say. I don’t know how his advice has helped his own career as I have never heard of him outside the book and Cheap Joes use of his quotations, however if his down to earth approach nudges just one of us onward and upward all the better. I really liked his color chapter; made better sense to me than anything else I’ve ever read/studied.

I love the way this guy think’s and his quotes. He is on my must read list.

Andrew

I simply adore this book! My wife gave this one to me a few years ago as a birthday gift (she new I liked his work). I have re-read it on numerous occasions.
                    My son even loves this book. In Seventh grade, he did a book report on it (as well has his autobiography – Confessions of a Starving Artist: Art and Life of Harley Brown). And despite some of the paintings subject matter, his English teacher (and art teacher too btw) was quite complimentary of his choice and let him show the book during the oral presentation.

Andrew

"Never ascribe to malice what adequately can be explained as stupidity"
                    - Robert J. Hanlon

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall

Kenny

Thanks for the comments!

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

Harley Brown is one of the BEST pastel artists I know! I have both his books, and very rarely loan them out!
                        I think his no nonsense approach and streight shooting attitude are what makes his books stand out.
                        No matter your medium, his ideas have have merit. If I need a shot in the arm, or any kind of motivation, I reread Harley!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
                        http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html

osidianrose

I was shocked when I started reading this book. Harley was very blunt in the book. I love the way he talks to his audience. It’s not full of BS.

AnnieA

Just to let everyone know…Harley Brown has just joined WC! (He is posting under the name of makinart.)

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Kenny

Very Cool!

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin

Mike_Beeman

Ditto!!! One exception is that I never loan his books out, but I do tell others where they can find them!

Harley Brown is one of the BEST pastel artists I know! I have both his books, and very rarely loan them out!
                                        I think his no nonsense approach and streight shooting attitude are what makes his books stand out.
                                        No matter your medium, his ideas have have merit. If I need a shot in the arm, or any kind of motivation, I reread Harley!

Mike Beeman Fine Art[/URL]

Coquette

I also have this book and find it very useful. Even my husband, who is not an artist read it and liked it. I have not come across Makinart yet, but I will wish him a hardy “welcome to WC” just in case he reads this thread.

Consuelo

"Not all who hesitate are lost" - Joseph Campbell

www.consuelovillalba.com
                                            makinart

Hi art friends,
                                                It makes it all worth while knowing that the book is helping artists. The words within are really how I learned throughout my life in art. With very wise mentors and my own hit and miss method at first. The best is if the book helps artists bypass many of the mistakes and wrong turns.
                                                Patience and the will to keep going are needed but also good guidance that understands the problems. I remember so many seeing and hearing grand revelations from my instructors. They openned my eyes. Harley

pakc

Well I just stumbled across this book just the other day and bought it without realizing he is a pastelist but find his thoughts and directions can convey into any medium.
                                                    I wasn’t familar with Harley Brown but this book is inspiring.
                                                    I like his no nonsense style of talking and it is rather nice to read the very thoughts that are going through your head and realize you have been validated.
                                                    Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to Harley Brown for writing the book.

Oh I see he has been here, well hope to run across you one day and tell you again thanks for writing that book.

makinart

Hi PAKC
                                                        Thank you for your very generous words about my book.
                                                        It means a lot when I hear that some of my thoughts strike a chord.
                                                        here’s to your inspired art, Harley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 835 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.