Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business How far off is my pricing for pet portraits?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I have seen such a huge range of prices, generally lower then mine. Some “newbies” to the business ruin it for everyone by charging stupidly low prices because “i enjoy it, and I’m just starting”.

I’m not just starting. I’ve been doing this for several decades. I’ve won an Australia wide first prize for realism. I don’t want to tell you how much I charge – I’d like it to be a blind test of prices.

I don’t want to confuse matters – so all are 8″ x 10″ on ampersand board in coloured pencil. Most take around 8 hours to do.

First the winning image

These are some portrait commissions from the last few years

Give it your best shot – what should I be charging? Then I’ll let you know how much I charge.

Thanks

Liz

Your paintings are beautiful. I’m one of those who charges low for my pet portraits, at least compared to some of the other pet portrait sites I’ve visited.

My Art
        --------------------

artbymdp

My prices range from $850 to $1100. My work is represented by a gallery and by coincidence one buyer was from Australia.

My prices range from $850 to $1100. My work is represented by a gallery and by coincidence one buyer was from Australia.

I wish people would buy my paintings already done – commissions are a strain. Especially when the animal has passed, they have ONE photo of it, and it’s a dot in a landscape!

Robin

For pet portraits?

I didn’t find galleries worked for me for pet portraits. Plus the cut and other expenses….

Robin

Robin

Eliza, I always have admired your work!

I will guess about $150 – $175 for a colored pencil portrait. I base that on my own experience. The fact is I rarely get colored pencil commissions, so I think that’s about what I’d price them if I only sold cp drawings to be competitive.

I do sell them, but rarely, but I charge the same as I get for my oil painting portraits because they take just as long or even longer.

Robin

Robin

I wish people would buy my paintings already done – commissions are a strain. Especially when the animal has passed, they have ONE photo of it, and it’s a dot in a landscape!

Or the faded Polaroid on the burnt orange shag carpet? :D

Robin

For pet portraits?

I didn’t find galleries worked for me for pet portraits. Plus the cut and other expenses….

They aren’t for galleries – they are commissioned by the owners.

Eliza, I always have admired your work!

I do sell them, but rarely, but I charge the same as I get for my oil painting portraits because they take just as long or even longer.

Thank you Robin

I charge $200 and $150 when I have a special – I sell a lot more when I have specials.

I find they take a LOT longer in cp then in oils.

Or the faded Polaroid on the burnt orange shag carpet? :D

Or the black cat on the dark blue blanket taken at night without a flash!

One I had to ask “where is the dog?” It was a picture of a camping ground with caravans and a table and chair set up under an awning. There was a man sitting on one of the chairs, and the dog, they told me, was on his lap! I say “I’m sorry, if I can’t see the animals eyes, I can’t draw them”.

Robin

They aren’t for galleries – they are commissioned by the owners.

I was in a gallery with portraits. I didn’t like it, and left. I disliked that they were the go between and took a huge cute. I prefer to work with my buyers directly.

But I was responding to artbymdp!

Robin

Robin

Thank you Robin

I charge $200 and $150 when I have a special – I sell a lot more when I have specials.

I find they take a LOT longer in cp then in oils.

That’s interesting. I have never had luck with sales. So…I was close with your pricing! What do I win???? :D

Robin

That’s interesting. I have never had luck with sales. So…I was close with your pricing! What do I win???? :D

A pet portrait! But you have to do it yourself :)

members

Very nice work! IMO they shouldn’t be priced under $200 and probably more.

contumacious

I am impressed that you could finish any one of the images you posted in 8 hours, regardless of the medium used. I doubt I would be able to achieve that level of work even if done quite small in 8 hours, probably not even in 16 hours. I am aware that I work more slowly than most of my local peers and I have been trying to speed things up but haven’t had much success. I probably spend 20 hours on a 9×12 studio piece and 50 to 100+ hours on a 36×48 inch depending on the complexity.

If I were to do a pet portrait commission and wanted to achieve the level of professional execution your work shows I wouldn’t be letting anything go for less than $450 US in any medium, regardless of the size. I am assuming your prices are in AU $?

My three favorites of the ones you posted, from the top, are #’s 4, 5 and 6. I think your pricing is quite low for the quality of your work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                      • The topic ‘How far off is my pricing for pet portraits?’ is closed to new replies.