Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Can you "season" wood palette with walnut oil?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Devorahdraws

Exactly as it says on the tin! Can you “season” a wood palette with walnut oil, or is linseed the only way to go? :) I wasn’t sure if I needed to have linseed specifically for treating my palette.

Anonymous

I don’t see any reason why walnut could not be used, it should work fine.
            I usually use linseed, but the last time I used stand oil and it remained tacky for way too long.

Humbaba

Yes, you can, it will make cleaning smoother once you are done.

contumacious

With a new wood palette I sand it with 800 grit paper until is is extremely smooth to the touch. I clean off the sandpaper then brush on some alkyd medium on both sides and edges (I use Galkyd, but any brand should work fine.), letting it soak in for a while but not too long. You don’t want it getting tacky. Then rub all the remaining alkyd medium off the surface, buffing it with a soft cloth until it is dry and smooth to the touch. Let it dry overnight. It will be significantly harder than using just oil and easier to clean off as well. Repeat the process again for an even more durable surface.

Anonymous

I have also used alkyd and agree with all contumacious says about that.

Delofasht

I “season” my wood palettes with walnut oil because I have such an abundance of it. Usually I do it a few times on a new palette to allow it to dry thoroughly between each time, the result is a heavier palette that seems to have a warm glow to it. Alkyds would work wonderfully this as well, you could also use Tung Oil, or any other drying oil, so long as it is given sufficient time to dry thoroughly before regular painting usage.

- Delo Delofasht
                            Devorahdraws

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I have walnut oil and sandpaper on hand, but not any alkyd. :) I think I have cheap linseed oil somewhere too, so I might use that instead of the walnut. I can’t imagine it has to be the highest quality just for some seasoning?

Nomad Z

Hardware store boiled linseed oil has worked find for me. About 4 coats gets it up to a nice sheen.

Devorahdraws

Hardware store boiled linseed oil has worked find for me. About 4 coats gets it up to a nice sheen.

I live in walking distance of a hardware store, so even if I don’t pick up even more oils than what I have, I’m definitely going to look at stain/varnish for the table top easel I got. My local Jerry’s is moving, so they have been having a 50% off everything, then a 70% off everything sale. I got a Lukas Berlin Set with tabletop easel, palette, and brushes, when I just wanted at minimum a nice tabletop easel! It’s so great.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.