Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel……July 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE July 2018…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!!

For a more complete critique post in the main forum!:wave:

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

anth_knight

Seeing as I’m on a roll after completing the Ferrari it’s taken me a year to finish (!), thought I’d get a start on this one:

The camera hasn’t done it any favours but I’m hoping for a beautiful sunset out of this one :)

Anth

Like my Wheels on Canvas Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wheelsoncanvas/

Brittiae

Willemien,
                Sorry if your name is misspelled. Every time I cross back to the previous page, I lose everything I wrote. Too frustrating! I don’t know how helpful this will be, but I would look for some deep violet or purple tones in the shadows. Right now you have mostly warm colors, but blood and flesh are not just warm. In lighter complected persons we see the blues and greens in shadows, but I don’t see that much here. I would see if you can find the cooler shadows – plum, deep eggplant violet – (quinacridone red and ultra-marine blue or indanthrone blue) – as a starting point – See if that helps.

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

p_nathan

working on a painting for a friend. it’s straddling the line between abstract and representational

the working name for the project is “ghost city”.

mind the reflections, it’s all pthalo blue and there’s no white in the image.

hobbyist in oil.

Brittiae

Anth,

The black car from your post at the end of June had the most spectacular reflections!! Spot on!! I’m thinking this one above will be just as successful with that sunset as the source! I’m excited to see what you do with it. Great job!

Cyn,

Your front-on portrait of this child is going exceptionally well, I think. The proportions are looking very natural, the expression is credible and facial tones are realistic. I think your first foray into scumbling on the skirt looks very successful. You are really doing well!!

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

catgabriel

Hi everyone, I’m currently working on this painting of a Spotted Pardalote bird.

- Catherine

anth_knight

Thanks Brittiae! I’m hoping that this one will sit well alongside the Ferrari, the original picture is pretty stunning so I hope I do it justice.

Like my Wheels on Canvas Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wheelsoncanvas/

mtpalms

…Every time I cross back to the previous page, I lose everything I wrote. Too frustrating!…

Barb, there are 3 things you can try, if you are toggling between pages:
                                    Open your reply in a new window/tab
                                    Preview your post.
                                    Select all and copy your reply. If you lose your post, you can paste it back in.
                                    :)

Everyone else, fine work! Nathan, yours is particularly intriguing, with the way you have perfectly filled the canvas with abstract shapes. Looking forward to seeing where this one is going.

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                                    "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                                    But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

Delofasht

Portraits on my easel at the moment, in various states of progression. Oh and some sketching with the brush of a frame from a comic I was reading. Really enjoyed doing these so far, right most face is going to need so much work, gotta do a lighting pass and reinforce the darks, smooth out the transitions and so much more. The likeness is going to change dramatically, currently looks nothing like my reference unfortunately, but that’s just a matter of reshaping edges and transitions, the general feel of light and shadow are in place at the moment. The far left painting is going to be fun, but it’s out of whack at the moment, which is fine, basically starting in the messy stage on that one. :))

The more finished looking one is nearing finished, but needs some glazes to deepen the values and create some more depth. These are on samples of Hahnemühle oil paper that I had requested, from my findings this paper is probably going to be my go to, it is inexpensive, durable, and paint looks great on it. No bleed through, haloing, or anything else like that. Basically just love this paper for painting studies on.

- Delo Delofasht
                                        Delofasht

Hi everyone, I’m currently working on this painting of a Spotted Pardalote bird.

Looking good to me so far!

Anth, looks like it’s going to be a vibrant scene for sure!

pnathan, reminds me of a wall of ice or blue flames. Abstractions are so interesting, good shapes and spaces so far.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            mtpalms

Delo, interesting studies, the one on the left is clearly the one you are the most invested in. Thanks for the critique of the Hahnemühle paper. I have loads of Arches oil paper, but may give Hahnemühle a go. :thumbsup:

I had a good day too, but finished up too late to take a pic. Tomorrow…

Delofasht

Marcia, I have been doing reviews of all the different papers I have been trying for awhile now. I am testing them for work study purposes some taking further than I usually would for just a study though. A note I did not mention earlier is that the Hahnemühle oil paper is not super absorbent like the Arches is, paint dries more glossy and less matte on this paper.

Here is where I stopped after an hour of painting last night, had to do actual work and not just work on studies all night unfortunately.

Time to fill in the background and reassess the color relationships of the face. Likeness seems to be getting closer though. I need to actually bring the nose and eyes to a finish after getting a general sense of my background color arrangement. Working on this intense red has been fun, not my usual choice of ground color, but has an interesting effect on color choices, many are quite a bit warmer than I might use normally, which is good because my portraits have had a habit of looking too cool lately.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    mtpalms

This one is getting interesting, Delo. And thank you for mentioning the difference between the Hahnemühle and Arches paper. I rather like the absorbency of the Arches, because I can do a thin, watercolor-like wash-in, then thicker layers. Another thing that intrigued me, was when I was finished, I would put on a layer of spray varnish, which would soak into the unpainted paper, but leave the painted areas glossy. It was pretty cool.

I worked on this one yesterday, but it was too dark to get a picture by the time I was ready to quit for the day. Also, it gave it time to lose the fresh paint gloss and subsequent glare. I see a spot or two that needs attention, but overall, I think the sky came out pretty well.

Delofasht

That sky looks nice indeed! I have some Arches oil paper as well, and I love it for the same reasons you mentioned, that ability to do a thin underpainting and just move right into full painting. Generally reserve Arches oil paper for more finished works, ones that will involve more than a couple layers of paint as it is better for layered paintings

Hahnemühle seems suited for more direct alla prima efforts though, where the initial sketch is likely to be replaced in the same session and brought to a finish. That is where I would use it over Arches. As an all purpose oil paper though, it’s quite nice, the canvas texture has a nice quality to it that can really be useful on some subjects.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                            mtpalms

…the canvas texture has a nice quality to it that can really be useful on some subjects.

That is also a useful bit of information. Like hot and cold press papers, I wonder if imprinted the texture has something to do with the way it accepts the paint? Or is it just the way the paper is otherwise mnaufactured?

Thank you btw. If you knew how much I used to anguish over painting skies, until a few years ago when I practiced, practiced, and obvserved, you would laugh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.