Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting "Apple Branches"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ptrkgmc

18″X24″, oil on a black canvas. No reference material was used. I instead concentrate on composition. But is seems to me I could perhaps use some deep violets to counter the yellows in this painting.

[ATTACH]869478[/ATTACH]
        Tony11214

No picture!

ptrkgmc

I hope this is not confusing,here is the image. :crossfingers:

[attach]869488[/attach]
                ilya K

Oh, this is great! I like the colors the way the are. And if you will frame it one day, the frame can add its own to it.

Ilya K
                    C&C always welcome

Delofasht

Wonderful apples! I like the feeling of really bright light pouring through the branches and leaves. Just fantastic!

- Delo Delofasht
                        Tony11214

I really like that too! The lower two thirds of the painting have a wonderful soft unsaturated look that I find fascinating. But the upper third of the painting seems to be a little too unsaturated. Or is it the photograph you took that’s making it look that way? The upper one third seems a bit washed out to me, and it loses the charm that the rest of the painting has. I’d reduce the aerial perspective on the trunk a little so that it doesn’t look like it’s extending so far back into the distance. And I’d bump up the soft blue of the sky very very little so that it complements the yellow and red of those two apples. But don’t make any drastic and dramatic changes, because that painting looks just fantastic.

Humburger

Beautiful. 😀

Ginny
                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                C & C Welcome

enelram

Fabulous! Wonderful painting.

TomMather

I really like this. Nice mood

midwest

Thebranch in the upper right corner that curves back to the left doesnt look natural to me

Kathie :
                                            ilya K

Thebranch in the upper right corner that curves back to the left doesnt look natural to me

Hah! You should see real branches in my garden. Older trees show all kind of behavior.

Ilya K
                                                C&C always welcome

ptrkgmc

Thnx, gold stars all around. I feel like an old branch myself exhibiting odd behavior. And I concider myself to be a compositionalist not a realist. The photo is never accurate, this one may be more so, but I doubt it, lol.
                                                    thanks for the creative view into the plane of my existential reality.
                                                    I think.

[ATTACH]869596[/ATTACH]
                                                    Phranque

It’s a lovely painting. Makes me feel as though I’m peering out from it, rather than into it….like a bird or small animal. I really like the softness, too. Well done!

Critiques and comments are always welcome.

MarcF

Beautiful soft colors and technique.
                                                            Great idea using black canvas. I have to remember that.
                                                            Would have been useful on the painting I just finished.

GibbyDoodle

This is really well done! I like the perspective, and am especially impressed that this was done without a reference. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.