Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Thursday 05 December 2019

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Don

Good morning everyone. Well, it is official… our next week’s camping trip is cancelled. DW decided she just had too much to do to be gone 5 or 6 days so I cancelled. I almost decided to go by myself (since I don’t have that much to do :lol: ) but I didn’t. I am disappointed though as I have been looking forward to that camping trip for a while now. :o

It is 37F right now but looks clear outside. Hoping to get out in a bit with the new macro lens and try it out. Maybe to the botanical garden to see if anything is still around.

I’ve also been trying to pick 5 photos to submit to a contest which apparently is held annually here in Columbus. I don’t know why I torture myself with these submissions.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
        Immortalized forever
        With silver and light"

Good morning, Don. I am glad that the weather is Cooperating for you today. We are finally going to see some Sun around here too. Sorry to hear about your trip being cancelled but I can relate to your DW having too much to do. If it were me, I would encourage my husband to go by himself . I get much more done when he ‘s not around. And a few days with him away …as they say, ” absence makes the heart grow fonder !

Thanks for starting the daily. Look forward to seeing what you capture with your new lens today.
        Lorell

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

damar

Thanks for starting today’s Pub Daily Don!
            Sorry about your disappointment with the camping cancellation;
            but I always figure things work out for a good reason.
            Hope the wind has died down enough for you to try your news lens out.

I don’t have anything new this week (been busy)
            So I’ll pull a few from my Florida rodeo archive.

These are not professional rodeo competitors.
            These are ranch workers competing with other ranch
            workers showing the skills they use daily in their work.
            (sometimes these are charity events)
            Skills are timed; such as separating calves from herds
            Roping, and breaking in new horses.
            The calves are numbered and the MC will call out a number and the
            cowboys have to separate that calf from the rest, rope and lay it down
            (this is standard procedure for inoculations, tagging, or steering)

The rope is thrown

Snagged the horns

The only thing missing are the cur dogs that most of these men bring to work every day to hunt for the cattle in the dense hammocks and round them up.

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
            Photos are ©2021

Hey Patty,
            There’s got to be a real art to “roping” . Your two photos capture it well. We use to have a rodeo in the area where we have our trailer up north. It was a smaller indoor arena. It was such a fun an exciting show. The building was torn down several years ago. We never found out why. Those cowboys are tough hombres.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
            Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Don

Nice action shots Patty. One thing I have never done much of is ride a horse.

I’ve started a separate thread with some images taken with my new macro lens. All hand held. I think I would have had a lot more keepers if I had used a tripod. Overall I am pretty pleased though.

Photo site - http://donlwilliamsphotography.com

"A moment in time
                Immortalized forever
                With silver and light"

Anonymous

Don, sorry to hear about the cancellation. I hope you share the photos you pick for the contest. Have fun with the new lens.

Hi Lorell.

Nice action shots, Damar. I created a website for a local photographer and used to maintain it; she has a number of rodeo photos too.

The air fryer I ordered for myself didn’t arrive yesterday as promised – maybe today.

Our phone rang a little after 6:00 AM this morning and I answered just to keep the ringing from waking my wife. An unknown number (probably spoofed) appeared and caller ID (no doubt also spoofed) read Houston TX. It was some robodialed recording claiming that my SSN had been disabled because they noticed unusual activity. Knowing it was a scam, I pressed 1 to get a live person. As usual, it was some guy with a thick Indian or Pakistani accent who immediately asked for my SSN. I had planned to waste as much of his time as possible but just ended up laughing at him for this obvious and pathetic scam.

Here in SoCal we’ll get a break from the rain for a couple of days. One shot taken yesterday of the ivy in the inner yard – I liked how the rain and dark sky brought out the colors…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 58mm, manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

damar

Lorell, thanks for the comment!
                        Rodeos are fun. We keep missing the ones around here!
                        In Florida, they refer to themselves as “cowhunters” because the cattle are on large acreage and wander off into the palmetto hammocks and have to be found.
                        (that’s where the dogs do their best)
                        Its tough work; SiL has broken both legs at different times, collarbone, wrist, nose, cuts, stitches and most recently his horse losing its footing and falling on him. (broken wrist)
                        Sometimes they have to trailer up bulls. SiLs brother is in the same business.
                        They are multi-generation cowboys.

Dave: Scammers…sounds like you had a bit of fun! LOL!
                        Next time ask them to speak up because you are recording and running a trace on their number! LOL!
                        I love your cascading ivy! The red leaves are beautiful with the green ones.
                        That would make a nice desktop wallpaper.

Thanks Don!
                        I’ll be heading over to your new lens thread after posting here.
                        Whenever I get a news lens or camera, it rains!
                        Lucky you! Its gorgeous out today!

The lasso is a very firm rope so it doesn’t foul when thrown.

Photos are ©2021

It was some robodialed recording claiming that my SSN had been disabled because they noticed unusual activity.

I am getting that phone call at least 3X/day for the last few days. It is so aggravating. I almost pressed 1 to see where it would take me, but I thought better and hung up on them just the way I did the other 10 times they called me. But I see how somebody who didn’t know better, would think, “OMG, they must be real because they keep calling to warn me”. I am also sick of the credit card companies calling to say because of my good record, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Patty, another great action shot. I love all those curves, twists and turns.

Don, Going to go look at your close-ups now. The photographer who gave the presentation about macro photography a few weeks ago said that part of a close-up photographer’s gear is a Tripod and Remote trigger. I know that it slows you down but the benefits are rewarding.

damar

Don, Going to go look at your close-ups now. The photographer who gave the presentation about macro photography a few weeks ago said that part of a close-up photographer’s gear is a Tripod and Remote trigger. I know that it slows you down but the benefits are rewarding.

And if you don’t already have one, I highly recommend a mono-pod.
                            I love mine. Its good for walking around with. Save the tripod for fixed locations.

Photos are ©2021

The auto museum that I frequent is owned by a very generous patriotic gentlemen. For the first four years that I visited, there was no entrance fee. Although that practice still remains the same, at the entrance there is a sign-in desk and a glass box for donations that go directly to support our veterans. The museum is open on Tuesdays, the first Saturday of the month AND a special viewing for Veterans and their families on Veteran’s Day.

The museum had distributed cards to nearby elementary schools for them to write messages to the vets who would be visiting this past Veteran’s day. They still had them on display when I was there this past Tuesday.

I love looking at the kids writing and their drawings. Things like this make me smile and choke me up at the same time. Here are a few of the many on display.

The messages were hung on display by these wooden frames. There were at least three of these frames filled with cards.
                            Behind this frame, a docent opens the doors to a new mechanical xylophone music player that arrived just that morning. The machine is suppose to be in working order, now just to find a place for it.

LORELL

Cameraman

Excellenr images from everyone today

This Early Ford goes back to 2014. I touched it up in Paint Shop Pro ->
                                adjust -> Smart Photo Fix. My Thumbnails are piggybacked and I used my RGB Values in the top Thumbnail box to get accurate Values in the bottom box

Norm Dunne
                                Lover of the Old Masters Art Period

damar

Thats so sweet of the kids, Lorell!
                                    You’ll have to go back when they get the xylophone settled in!

Photos are ©2021
                                    damar

Hi Norm!
                                        Your photos were NOT there when I posted!
                                        I do like your monochrome!
                                        Cool car!

Photos are ©2021
                                        Cameraman

Thanks for the kind words Much appreciated

Norm Dunne
                                            Lover of the Old Masters Art Period

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.