Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Movie Art – Title or No Title?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Fkouch

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right forum for this. Just wanted to know if there’s any movie artists out there and if so what their view is on including the title in the design. I have normally used compositions without but I am doing a new Robocop painting and a big part of the design is the ‘Robocop’ logo. But part of me feels like this might be a bit overkill. Or might even make it more susceptible to copyright infractions. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Farrokh

La_

if your default titles are ‘untitled’, you’re going to have an obnoxiously irritating inventory list.

‘Inspired by ‘whatever movie title/character’ might be better.

and do you research – as an artist you should understand at least the basics of copyright law. for personal use, nobody cares, but if you’re selling … it’s a bag of snakes that bite.

la

DaveCrow

Art inspired by movies and movie characters is opening a big can of not only copyright worms, but trademark worms as well.

If your art is going to be on public display o your research on this.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Fkouch

Sorry I thought asking my peers was ‘research’. Sort of defeats the point of forums.

Fkouch

if your default titles are ‘untitled’, you’re going to have an obnoxiously irritating inventory list.

‘Inspired by ‘whatever movie title/character’ might be better.

and do you research – as an artist you should understand at least the basics of copyright law. for personal use, nobody cares, but if you’re selling … it’s a bag of snakes that bite.

la

Yes I do research, but most of my work is for me. And the few prints I have done have been in a very small quantity. I am more interested in the compositional element of it.

DaveCrow

Copyright and trademark are legal issues. Just asking your peers on Internet forums is not going to help you much if you get in trouble for violations. La and I were responding to the “Or might even make it more susceptible to copyright infractions” part of your post. The answer to which is a definite “yes”. If you use someone else’s logo without permission it will make you more susceptible to infractions.

As for the composition question, that is almost impossible to answer without knowing at least something of the composition. I have seen many successful compositions that include logos or text elements as part of the overall design.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

La_

Yes I do research, but most of my work is for me. And the few prints I have done have been in a very small quantity. [B]I am more interested in the compositional element of it.[/B]

if you want help with comp, i’ll need a visual – even if it’s just a sketch

la

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.