Home Forums The Town Center Welcome Forum! Getting a Blue Summer Cloudless Sky using Gouache

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I’ve just joined. I started painting last year. I recently had trouble getting the right shades of blue for a summer sky, having used ultramarine which was way too violet, and got some advice from this forum, so thought I’d join. Although it was oils and watercolour advice, it was still very helpful. I usually paint with winsor newton gouache.
    For the summer sky I used…
    Along the horizon I painted permanent white with a bit of primary yellow out to permanent white (as it’s a sea of dandelions). Then phthalo blue mixed with permanent white above the horizon and then for the middle area I used sky blue out to the edges with intense blue. It worked really well. I mixed the blues with a bit of permanent white to tone down and I’m pleased with the outcome. I’ve just got to put the sun through a dandelion clock… errr!

I’m in the process of doing six, in a wild flower series. I had a disaster with paper quality on my last gouache painting; blue bells. I’ve done poppies, moon daisies, which sold straightaway, the dandelion might be sold, as I have an interested party, but it’s not finished. Unfortunately, I spent 4 hours drawing blue bells, and then when I added the paint, it rippled up like a stormy sea, so the whole thing went in the bin today. I went straight out and bought Bockingford medium weight paper which I’ve masked with a neutral coloured tape. That was another blunder using coloured tape as it messes with your overall colour choices. So, hopefully this will go a bit smoother. I’m hoping the bluebells will be the best of the bunch. Although now, it really is, back to the drawing board.

I’ve also started using oil paints and am in the middle of a flower triptych which is going well. I decided to buy three oilbars for a tree painting I’m planning as my next oil project, so I’m very excited about the hands on, getting messy experience. My guess is, that I’ll need some more advice!!! I hope someone else might find my blunders and successes useful.

Greggo

Color advice is best found in the Color Theory mixing forum:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

But specific advice is also found in the forum for the medium you are using. The same “color” in one medium is different in another medium, and it varies from manufacturers. Making color wheels is the best practice of all!

Welcome to WC!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It’s worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
        Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
        Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at The Point To Art Blog–Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Thanks Greg for all the information. I’m looking forward to meeting new friends not to mention the advice from more experienced artists. The colours I mentioned in the thread are the Winsor Newton Gouache range. I’m not sure how I show you my artwork as I don’t have a website and can’t find a posting button.

opainter

Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas! :)

* Regarding posting images, you have to make two posts (which you have now done) before you can post any images. Let me also direct you to this good guide to uploading images -> Uploading Images: A Quick Reference Guide and FAQ.

* Regarding colors for sky, there is a currently active thread over at the Color Theory and Mixing forum about this exact question, so be sure to go over there to check it out! Note, though, that sometimes the discussions there can focus more on oil paints than acrylics, gouache, watercolors, and other mediums.

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels. Find some interesting conversations in the forums and join in! :)

Cityscapes/Urban Art is our newest forum. Color Theory and Mixing is another forum that members find helpful for learning color theory and selecting colors.

Note that many of the WetCanvas forums are arranged by medium (watercolors, oils, etc.) or subject (miniatures, landscapes, etc.). Happy exploring in all them! Here is the Full List of Forums[/URL].

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
            See you in the forums! :wave:

AJ (opainter)

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
            :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
            :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Thanks for the advice, AJ. I’m going to try and put them all up in the flowers and botanical section, even the unfinished ones. Then going to look at how to use oilsticks.

Can’t upload pictures as it just highlights cancel button. Am I activated to download photos? Just wondering…

Hmm, I’ve never heard of that before. You only need two text posts to upload an image. There isn’t a cancel button on the image uploader page. Did you read through the link AJ gave you?

If that doesn’t help, you can ask technical questions in the Discussions forum . They may be able to help you out.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forums.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

Take care, in the uploader box you have to select “All Files” otherwise it defaults to GIF files and doesn’t display your jpeg files.

There is a Sky Blue gouache colour.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thanks Yorky I’ve posted them now in Florals and Botanics.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • The topic ‘Getting a Blue Summer Cloudless Sky using Gouache’ is closed to new replies.