Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Gelli Plates?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ctanner

Does anyone have any experience with the Gelli Plates?

Looks interesting, would love to know how they are working out. Any big draw backs?

mstuarte

if you are doing gelatin plate printing or interested in getting into it, I recommend you join the gelatin plate print group (flickr group) here:
            http://www.flickr.com/groups/gelatinprintmaking/
            Linda Germain, one of the foremost experts (and a mentor to me) of gelating plate printing is the mod. There are many sample images of prints done on gelli plates so you can contact the users for input.

at this point I’m sticking to gelating (pardon the pun)

2D aficionado, musician
            Year Round bike commuter
            Mark Evans Image Galleries

ctanner

I do follow Linda’s blog and think it’s great. I have pulled prints from gelatin plates I have made.

What I asking is if anyone has had any experience with the “Gelli Arts” plates.

Thanks.

Diane Cutter

I’ve used both sizes and like them very much. The upside is I can use them any time I want and not have to worry about the gelatin getting gnarly.

The downside is the plates can become somewhat stained (using Akua) and it took some adjusting to remember what I see on the plate isn’t necessarily what I will have on the paper.

I love the wonky lines from the actual gelatin but prefer the cleanness of the Gelli plates because we have serious mold issues down here in Puerto Rico.

Diane

mstuarte

if you go to that page you will see dozens of prints made with them. Just contact the artists for input.

2D aficionado, musician
                        Year Round bike commuter
                        Mark Evans Image Galleries

ctanner

Thanks!

Diane, very glad to hear that it’s easier to keep clean.

I am trying to put together a “Press Free” printmaking class. Relief and Monotypes are what I have come up with first and what I am most familiar with.

Hoping that if I can fill a class or two the College will buy a PRESS! Which would be AWESOME!

So, I am open to any ideas and suggestions.

I have a Gelli Plate coming and will start working with as soon as possible.

SAS Designs

I did a workshop using the gelli arts plate – loved it. Waiting for my own to arrive from Dick Blick this week. Now need to buy my own acrylics, would appreciate any advice on which brand works best with the gelli plates.
                                In workshop we used some kind of a water based ink, some of the darker colors stained, but most of it could be washed off the plate with soap & warm water.

bjames

I have been gelli plating with wonderful results except when it comes to lifting dried paint left on the plate. Paula Philiph and Patti Tolley Parrish call this ” crusty bits”, and I have followed their tutorials on printing the dried residue. However, the paint on my plate does NOT come off well at all.. much of it is left on the plate. I have allowed the paint to dry completely, then I have brayered on a thin layer, and I even tried a thicker layer, and have used more pressure and done it for a longer time before pulling the print. Most of the dried paint STILL remains! What is wrong with my technique?

Howlersong

Bjames, did you ever find a solution for cleaning the Gelli plate? I have not had luck with the quick removal method shown by the experts either, but this is what works for me (removes at least 95% of many many layers of acrylic paint “crusty bits”):
                                        1 Let the paint dry to the touch (a minute or two should be fine)
                                        2 brayer onto the plate a medium thick layer of a thick bodied acrylic paint (Liquitex Basics is an inexpensive one that works well, but I sometimes use Golden heavy body).
                                        3 immediately put a fresh piece of porous paper on top of the plate and press it down everywhere, especially the edges. The paper has to be unused–if there is paint or a finish on it already this technique will not work. I use cheap Blick sulphite drawing paper (which is fabulous), but plain copy paper will also work. THEN I wait for the paint to dry completely. I try to wait an hour or two but usually cave after 20 or 30 minutes (after I’ve cleaned and put away all the things I’ve been making Gelli prints with, usually), and most if not all of the paint is still lifted. The “bits” can be really spectacular, so I sometimes use a better thick paper like Stonehenge, but then I definitely wait a little longer before pulling it up to make sure it is completely dry.
                                        Hope this helps. Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.