WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Talking Self teaching help!

Happy April everyone I need some opinions on my portraits and a lot of tips for I am self teaching portraits. I struggle with over working and mid tones, over working has ruined many expensive pieces of watercolor paper. Long fur is my biggest struggle I cant seem to grasp it! help
Attached Images

Last edited by vtalbot : 04-11-2017 at 03:43 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Self teaching help!

Welcome to wetcanvas. Your pet portraits look fine to me.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 AM

Thank you I appreciate that, brush choices, color choices and too much water not enough water... it is definitely a learning process daily. have a great day
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Canada

Gosh, they are beautiful.
Well you get to know your paper, some are more forgiving than others. I have had work ruined many times and at a late stage. The paper I chose ultimately made a difference. My worst experience was with Fluid hot press finish watercolour paper. 140lb. Now I had heard hot press is for details. Think of plant/botany paintings. I don't do a lot of washes and it just lifted and created holes with very little work done. What a disappointment.
Your instincts are great, it is a learning curve. Keep a sheet of the same paper beside you and try to work out your strokes, layers, even paper tolerance on that if you are really worried. The more you do the more this will be less an issue. You will find the papers you feel good using. You will economize your strokes because you know how to get there without trying so hard.
Your long fur looks great. I think you might be wondering about developing a few strands where there is darker or mid tone hints of fur between the light long hairs. Just to pull it out. You would be working the opposite to negative space. By this I mean the negative space is the long fur and not say, the background. So you build up hints around it of darker tones to create the light fur. (If you feel the need). Sometimes the magic is already implied and it is not necessary or even "better" to see every strand. Again, looks wonderful. I like what you have happening as it looks now.
And here is a wee tip. If you are near the end, and want a few fine details that are strong and will introduce no water, use sharp coloured pencils.
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 04-14-2017 at 12:32 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

I don't know anything about watercolor but these portraits are Beautiful!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I never liked pictures made from photographs. I assume you were not looking at the dogs when you made these. perhaps the best thing you can do to self-train is to reduce the amount of time spent looking at photos and expand the time you have studying real life.

Obviously they are beautiful. Copied off of good pictures, I assume.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Thank you!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Thank you for the feedback that's why I posted on here, every response whether good or bad helps aid in my learning more and more. Most of the photographs I receive from people are not good at all and I tell them this over and over. copying the photograph is aiding me to learn the basics and I would love to change that. learning lighting and value is something I struggle with and I want to maybe change mediums as going from light to dark is opposite of what my brain wants to do. So thinking of trying acrylics and see if this is more for me, also getting as much as I can from helpful tutorials and artist,Thanks again for the comment
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Moved from WC Gallery which does not allow C&C to Open Critique which does allow C&C