WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada
Question Do you sign, number and title open edition art prints?

Is it weird to sign and number open edition prints? Some experts say we're not supposed to sign limited edition prints, but what if we decide not to limit them?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Do you sign, number and title open edition art prints?

I sign them on the back and I put that as a selling point about them. I also write the title on the back. But no number. To me, only limited editions are numbered. I also point out that I personally color match them to the original.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I sign them on the back and I put that as a selling point about them. I also write the title on the back. But no number. To me, only limited editions are numbered. I also point out that I personally color match them to the original.
That sounds lovely and very professional! I'm wondering why you decided to sign on the back rather than the front, is there a rule for this kind of thing?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I sign and title on the front, and on the mount. No number because it's an open edition. If there's a rule who made it? Do what feels comfortable.

In my case I'm not talking about repros though, but images made digitally with the intent of making a physical print which I have chosen not to limit.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBertram
I sign and title on the front, and on the mount. No number because it's an open edition. If there's a rule who made it? Do what feels comfortable. In my case I'm not talking about repros though, but images made digitally with the intent of making a physical print which I have chosen not to limit.
I don't understand signing the mount - the mount is just a mass produced piece of cardboard that could be put around any print.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I sign all my prints with my initials. For something open edition I generally put the title on the left and initials on the right under the image. For limited edition it would be the number left, title middle, initials right. Then I mount to incorporate that in the image area.

Signing mounts seems to be a trend for some artists. Since I remount and reframe almost everything I buy this means I lose the signature. (I like really wide mounts - lots of space around the art - and the same mount colour on all my collection just because I like high white)

Tina.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinky
That sounds lovely and very professional! I'm wondering why you decided to sign on the back rather than the front, is there a rule for this kind of thing?

My prints are reproductions of my paintings, and I usually sign my paintings on the front in the right-hand corner. I sign a print on the back to show that I printed it, basically. I don't know if there is any kind of rule. I do know some types of art tend not to be signed on the front and others are, but from what I know, that refers to originals. Like I've noticed that lots of abstract painters do not sign on the front but lots of landscape painters do.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

I sign every print I sell in the border on the front. I only number the limited editions. The open editions are not numbered.