WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Re: What are the best books on plein air?

Ditto what Mike said. David Curtis is amazing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley man
I like the Blog, I wonder if the monkey on his back is named Art.
Funny! I've wondered if James Gurney's monkey is descended from Emily Carr's - she took it out into the wilderness with her when she was painting, and there is a statue of her somewhere in B.C., trying to paint while the monkey climbs on her head.
Quote:
"Outdoor study was as different from studio study as eating is from drinking … Sketching outdoors was a fluid process, half looking, half dreaming, awaiting invitation from the spirit of the subject to 'come meet me half way'. Outdoor sketching was as much longing as labour." ~Emily Carr
Save
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM

And to add to the conversation, I like (in addition to the others mentioned!) Emile Gruppé's "Gruppé On Painting: Direct techniques in oil". 1976, with B&W plates, that bothers some people but the information is great.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Depends in the medium, but I agree Youtube is an invaluable source. There's no substitute for getting out there and doing it.

Doug
Agreed!

Any good book on composition, perception, general painting technique in your medium should do. Plein air only differs from studio really in having to consider the difference between the light on your painting outdoors and when viewed in different conditions indoors, and also the impact of outdoor weather conditions on your medium (heat, moisture.) The rest is just practice!

If a book of any kind gives you inspiration, then that's your book.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Houston TX

Hails from United States

I've read a number of the old reliable's, but recently picked up "The elements of landscape oil painting" by Suzanne Brooker ©2015. This one is filled with useful info to be used plein air or studio, and mine is all marked up on the many tips that I revisit until they get down in me.
Take care
Tim
http://timthepainter.com/