WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM

Hello! (and ink question)

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! I've been visiting this forum a bit in the past couple of months for help with registration during printing and have just joined.

I've been experimenting (read printing the same wretched linocut every weekend for 3 months) with linocuts and trying to print by hand. After 3 frustrating months (and carpal tunnel syndrome wrists!) I decided to bite the bullet and buy a press. I'm really pleased I did. I've just finished my first reduction print (posted below in a reply).

My question relates to inks. I'm happy to continue printing in greys and blacks for a while to improve my work but I'm a planner and I'm starting to think about my printing process for colours. I think I'd like to be able to print Pantone colours but there doesn't seem to be a wide range of Pantone relief inks around. I've come across a couple of brands, but none that have all of the 14 basic Pantone colours (ie. missing orange, violet, etc).

So I'm wondering whether offset inks might work. I've never even seen an offset print. Does it have a similar viscosity to relief inks? Would lino printing work with these inks? What about rubber-based inks? I've read a little that they're toxic and difficult to clean up afterwards. Has anyone used either of these types of inks? Van Son appears to have the widest range of Pantone inks available. Should I just start there?

Thank you!
Donina

Last edited by dasera : 03-20-2017 at 07:28 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM

Re: Hello! (and ink question)

My first reduction print! (It's actually square - 30 x 30cm (12 x 12") Despite there being a couple of things I wish I had done a little differently, I'm really pleased with it :-)

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Bet you are - it's really good
Sorry I don't know about inks so can't answer your question.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:56 AM

Hails from Australia

Hi dasera, your lino print is lovely!! Welcome!!....I live in Sydney. I use an offset printing ink called Flint Printing Ink for my relief printing. My supplier is in Sydney but they have outlets in Melbourne.

I was introduced to it when I was at art school because our lecturers used it for lithography and it was much cheaper than well known brand name relief inks. My last purchase 2 years ago was about $45 for a 1kg can of black ....and they last a very long time!

I mainly use the black and transparent extender because I do a lot of post print handcolouring but they use these inks in industry so they may stock the Pantone colours you're after.

Love to see the print in colour when you get there.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM

ic.Art, that's really helpful, thank you! I'll have a look for those inks. I'm wondering... do they stay "open"? If so, do you use driers or anything else to aid drying time? Is the viscosity similar to relief inks?

theanimallover, thanks so much! I can't wait to do more but my 9-5 job is getting in the way!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Me too! I told my manager the other day that I can see all the things I wanna do - but I'm just too tired to reach them!!

Today I managed to do a monoprint which was fun
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 PM

Hails from Australia

I find the Flint Inks stay open long enough for how I print which is by hand or press but I also don't fuss around after inking up....ink, check, print. I don't use driers because I don't print more than 1 or 2 layers then dry and handcolour.

These inks are made for lithography and they're really quite tacky so that only a thin film is needed for the old stones or newer plates. I've found them good for thin layers on lino. I do use a drop or two of burnt plate oil if it's too stiff before roll out.
'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 PM

Very helpful! Thanks very much!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM

ic.Art, I'm having problems finding somewhere online to buy the Flint Inks. Could you please let me know the name/contact details for your supplier?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2017, 06:37 AM

Nevermind, I've been able to track someone down!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

A really nice print.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasera
I think I'd like to be able to print Pantone colours

Colour Relief inks are easily obtainable in the art shops of Melbourne. Dean's Art, Eckersley's, Melbourne Etching Supplies, etc. Buy some coloured inks and mix whatever colours you like. Pantone do not have a copyright on colour, they just have a system of codes and proportions. If you like one of "their" colours, mix it yourself. Or am I misunderstanding something?

:::
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 AM

Thanks Jeffro, yes I know I can buy coloured inks and mix whatever colours I like, but I do have a reason for wanting the Pantone colours specifically.

Sonia, thanks very much!