WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: Progression of REGRESSION in color and values

always happy that something I've had a part in sharing finds a place to be helpful to another! Thanks...and my privilege Adrian...
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Great thread! Thanks very much Larry!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Paula
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: The Progression of REGRESSION in color and values

bumping up...enjoy!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

These are all great threads Larry. It sound like we need a a second menu on the Plein Air forum for learining.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Mike...

learning is an ever happening state, that is for sure...for anyone who's sights are on excellence. As I remind my students (often...) excellence is not an accident!

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks for this. I really dislike painting from photos, but it is necessary at times. I especially appreciate the hints on the red and how it is affected in landscapes. I tend to focus on the green and blue and forget the red.
Winston Churchill
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Carolina Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Larry...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from Brazil

Thank you, Larry. If I can add a thought here: The intensity of the regression is affected by altitude and humidity: Here in Colorado at 20% humidity and 5400 feet altitude, the color regression is a lot milder than at locations with more dense atmosphere and more humidity in the air--some people have a hard time creating believable color recession because distant hills and mountains and trees are still so crisp to the eye, you actually have to push the recession further than your eyes tell you to. In contrast, I remember a day visiting Boston in summer when the colors receded noticeably in a matter of 30 yards across the pond in the park...
Cheers
Marcio
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio C
The intensity of the regression is affected by altitude and humidity: Here in Colorado at 20% humidity and 5400 feet altitude, the color regression is a lot milder than at locations with more dense atmosphere and more humidity in the air

Yes, I agree with this... While most of the time the distance/haze equation is true, there are near-zero humidity days in the fall (at regular altitudes) where scenes a few miles away can look as crisp and bright as what is only a few hundred feet away. I find this to be the case many times in winter, early spring or fall. Atmosphere, humidity, time of day... lots of factors can skew things. It really depends on how you want to re-represent a scene, completely and exactly truthful to what you see ~or~ "artistically" for what you want seen by the viewer of the piece. Most painters opt for the latter but there are those rare times when the former can also create a stunning result.

Age can play a big factor as well... Many impressionists' later works were thought to be their most "artistic", but some reason that this was because their failing eyesight made them blur or make vague what they actually couldn't see. They simply put the tone in place and let the eye tell the rest of the story. We can also do that by choice, of course!

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

the beauty of a rule...or a notion of the concept, is that it serves to bring attention to that acception as well.

In portrait work...I have taught my sons, as well as my students for years a formula that ironically works. Based off of Da Vinci's cadaver studies and measurements, and something reading I gleaned and have used to teach. My illustration/high caricature artist son Jason, has made use of this brilliantly to see where the exception to the generalization is and then exploit that...

Distance from pupil to pupil (of the eyes) equals length of rested mouth, length of nose, length of ears, distance from closed mouth to bottom of chin. Width of one eye equals distance between or from one eye's tear duct to the other. Distance from temple to temple equals distance from bottom of chin to bridge of nose, from bridge of nose to hairline...etc

Uncanny how accurate much of that has been...but when it comes to rules some have in their nature only the interest to prove or say, "Hey...that doesn't work...because my ear....blah blah blah" which means they aren't getting the value of what having a generalized standard offers them.

There are always exceptions to the rule...and many artists like to tout, "rules are meant to be broken"...

I'll agree to the degree that it serves you only when you know what the rule is that is to be broken, and why breaking it is going to serve your priorities.

Knowing the generalization of this progression of regression of color and values would only heighten my experience visiting Colorado, and result in my better exploiting the unique trait there...and then in the end, that serves me as a painter.

Good stuff all...good stuff
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Fenton MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
Hey Jasmin...

Just finished a small 6"x 12" oil on a panel with a pumice additive, the "Hanson Panel" as we are calling it on Wetcanvas...(based on a recipe of WC member Marc Hanson). I have a thread that shows the various steps...and a closeup, and you can see how I treat leaves. I try and represent leaves as a value/color mass...suggesting them more or less...getting my clues from squinting my eyes... here is that thread, and hope it helps! Thanks much for yoru comments....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...36#post4030236

Larry

Larry

Trying to access this link says:

Mike1947, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Is the link broken?

Mike
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

This is an old thread...that I shared back when I was moderator, and prior to retiring. One I referred others to so often, that I kept its link rather than have to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I'm bumping it up after so long...hoping it will yet prove helpful to some..

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 02-25-2016 at 12:11 PM.