WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: The "Goal Post" for May 2012

Charlie / Ruth:

I watched the Eurovision show. Sweden rocked.... no doubt about that. But then, Sweden always has !!!

BTW-- I LOVED the little grandmothers. They were soooo cute.

So much talent in that contest. Nice to see painters appreciating music. Our souls are very much in synch.

I need to learn about this get Dusty thing...
Dave

#152   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

David, the Russian grandmothers, babushka (however it is spelled), they were really adorable. And they represented a genuine down-to-earth joy in music/singing, having fun when performing. They are normally a folk-song group, keeping traditional songs alive. Genuine culture!

I love music! But I can't listen while I paint, as the visual takes over and crowds out the audial (sp?). My brain ceases to register the sound. Or, if there's a beat, my pastel strokes get rhythm! So I sing in a choir instead, doing anything from medieval to modern.

The Get Dusty is the monthly challenge for the members of the Pastel Guild of Europe (link in my siggy, the galleries of entries are open for the public to view).

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Doug, congratulations on your oil painting. I found that I could work loose, small and simple in pastels but I think all of us are different. I'm glad you're not giving up pastels and glad you're finding something so cool in oils.

I've been tempted to try oils several times but I'm always running up against "Where do I put the wet paintings?"

Charlie, you spelled "babushka" correctly. I think the term comes from the head scarves Russian grandmothers wear. They sound like they were great.

I can't paint to music either. I can write novels to music, but for painting it's either nothing or video that I'm ignoring other than listening to the story. I often treat television like it's an old time radio show, just listening to the dialogue rather than watching.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Robert, sorry your body's letting you down at the moment. It's rough but I guess you need that sleep to help you renew your vigour. Everyone, you must get the Scribbler magazine and read Robert's comments on the Dusty entries he selected! So lyrical, poetic and relevant. This man should be a great writer!

Doug, I won't tell....shhhh. As long as you don't leave us you may use any medium you wish!

Dave, Eurovision was music? Oh, I didn't realise.......lol

Goal update -

I've finished the article for the scribbler and nearly done another one about the challenges I had with my winning painting which so nearly did not get entered!

I've done 4 of 6 paintings for the small works exhibition but now must find 3 new square frames as the ones I have are bigger than 12" square.

All 4 that I chose to enter the Cathedral exhibition are framed and ready for selection day on June 9th. I am submitting a portrait, a still life, a landscape and a skyscape.....the first time I've submitted any of those subjects except skyscape. So fingers crossed I get some selected. If I don't I will wonder whether it is the framing or whether the handling of the subject is not up to scratch but there will be no way of knowing.

check out the Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Ruthie, gimme gimme the article! I've written a new one today, too.
Good luck getting into the exhibition, and it is rarely the frames. More often than not it is a theme they want, but they do not tell it in advance.

Doug, Monet often painted small plein air pastels, and then made an oil in the studio. Oils are rather wonderful.

The Pastel Scribbler, the newsletter for the Pastel Guild of Europe, with Roberts beautiful comments, has the target issue date of June 15. If we're lucky (quick and diligent), it may come earlier.

Rob is a very good writer, I have read two of his books and a shorter story. Definitely should get published! And stinkin rich.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Just for you Doug I did complete a painting tonight at seventeen minutes to midnight!! I just can't post it in the Spotlight because my computer is acting up!

C & c's always welcome