WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States
USS San Francisco Revisited

Well its been an interesting week so far.

First...for those that can remember that way back my sculpture Mystic Embrace has now been molded and now ready for casting in bronze. Hopefully in 2 months I will have the first two of the edition finished. Needless to say I'm becoming excited its finally coming to completion. If you need a refresher here is a link to the original thread.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622142

After the a mold is made of the original clay a wax model is made. This will then encased in a ceramic shell with vent tubes to allow the melted wax to escape when the molten bronze is poured hence the term lost wax. This whale will be welded in place with the base whale after the bronze has been chased, then chased again. Patina will be applied and all the orca white markings will be polished. So far I'm pleased with the progress and more importantly the foundry is very pleased and think it will be a nice piece once all is said and done. The original painting will be produced as a L/E giclee to accompany the sculpture.

After that I received a letter from the USS Coast Guard Artist Program my painting "Close Inspection" was juried and accepted into their permanent collection. It will be exhibited at the Salmagundi Club, in New York June 3rd - June 7th http://www.salmagundi.org/

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1006102

Wednesday night I was invited to the dedication and unveiling of a display in honor of Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan.
He was killed in WW2 during the night slugfest, called the Battle Of Guadalcanal. His flag ship was the heavy cruiser USS San Francisco CA 38. Years ago I did a painting of the Frisco returning to San Francisco after the battle. Last year I donated it to the Callaghan Society at St. Ignatius High School in San Francisco. Callaghan was an alumni from 1907. The painting is titled "Home Is The Sailor, Home From The Sea". It is now being published as a L/E giclee print. A percentage of the net sales will be going to the Society. If you are interested I added the link to the original post or get the full story by visiting my blog listed below.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332300

Frank
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: USS San Francisco Revisited

Exciting news all round, Frank. Congratulations on all aspects, the high quality of your work is getting the respect and recognition it richly deserves.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Port Lincoln, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Absolutely fabulous Frank! Most of us could only dream of having a week like yours. Congrats!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 AM
WC! Guide
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Well done Frank, long may your success continue.
Regards Jim
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southern California

Hails from United States

Always a joy to see what you've been up to, Frank. You never disappoint me. Congratulations on your recognition and acceptance, it is so well deserved.
Ron

Ron www.ronstropicalart.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Great news I loved you Mystic embrace painting That will make a gorgeous sculpture
Great painting and history of the USS SFO too
Robert

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Thanks everyone for your nice comments, it was a good week. Now I'm back to the grind. After at least 30 hrs. of research and sketching I'm going to be starting a painting today. It will be another historical naval scene featuring the USS Hornet CV8 departing San Francisco Bay on the morning of April 2nd, 1942. It was carrying LTC. Jimmy Doolittle's Raiders with their 16 B25 bombers...destination Tokyo. It will be the 70th anniversary of that departure next month and my goal is to have it completed on that date. Got to start painting.

Thanks
Frank
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada

Good luck on your next painting Frank. It would be great to follow along as a work in progress if you get the chance! Also, congratulations on your recent honour. It must feel good seeing one of your paintings hanging in the display. Well deserved!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Solvang,California USA

Hails from United States

Wow! All good stuff going for you lately Frank. Very cool. Congratulations again on getting the painting into the COGAP collection. Awesome! I also like the painting of the USS San Francisco. Good work there too buddy.
Ron