WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Northern Appalachia

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Lightening and Removing Inked Passages

Hey, guys- Here's an article I've added to the About The Drawings section of my site; thought I'd post it here as well. Hope something of this is useful.

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com

Lightening and Removing Inked Passages

There are a number of ways of correcting and revising inked drawings. Iíve experimented with using white inks to add or restore highlights, but that hasn't worked well for me- I prefer to allow the whites of the paper to form the highlights of my drawings. So with that in mind, here are a few ways I lighten and remove inked passages.

Though it may seem odd, erasers have become an indispensable part of my inking process. Inked passages, even when dry, can often be lightened considerably with a hard rubber pencil eraser- And this wonít degrade the paperís surface nearly as badly as a more abrasive ink eraser can. This won't work with all inks, with very heavily applied inks, or with highly absorbent papers. But with the combination of ink and paper I use most often, Sakura Pigma Micron pens, and Strathmore smooth-surface Bristol Board, lightening inked passages is a viable option, and one I rely on regularly.

There are times when inking a bright object or surface carefully simply takes way too long- And trying to work delicately rather than boldly just doesn't work for some textures, either. Often, I'll ink a passage a bit darker than it will end up being, knowing I can lighten it by as much as third, and relatively easily.

Inked areas that have not yet dried can also be lightened in this way. Still-wet ink will smear, though, so I work from the inked areaís edge inward, and away from clean paper. Smudges happen. But they can be minimized. And those that do find their way into my drawings can still be lightened and often eliminated completely, too.

Ink accumulates quickly on an eraser used on an inked passage, so I clean my erasers often by rubbing them hard on scrap paper. When an inked passage, even a dried one, has been lightened with an eraser, the eraser particles that are left on the drawingís surface also contain ink. To minimize smudging, I brush them away as lightly as possible, with a feather or lambís wool duster.

If an inked passage needs to be lightened further, or removed completely, Iíll use a small piece of very fine sandpaper, 320 grit or higher. Rubbing lightly in overlapping circles helps make the abrasions to the paperís surface more random and less noticeable. A scrap of sandpaper can also be folded, and the folded edge and its corners used to remove a fine line or point from an inked passage.

As with erasers, ink particles will accumulate on the sandpaper very quickly, so I refold the sandpaper to expose a clean portion after every few strokes. If Iím lightening a passage, a few strokes may do the trick. If more scrubbing is necessary, I lift off the accumulated residue from the paperís surface with a kneaded eraser between applications of sandpaper.

Paper thatís been abraded and roughened will become much more absorbent. This effect is apparent in passages that have been lightened with a hard rubber eraser, and much more so in areas that have been sandpapered. Further inked dots and lines will tend to bleed and widen, so all re-inking of those areas must be done carefully.

Sandpaper is a fairly extreme option. But on more than one occasion, Iíve used it to remove an inked passage completely, and been able to restore that area of the drawing back to clean, acceptably smooth paper.

Another tool I use occasionally is an X-Acto knife. The sharp point can be used to remove very small areas of ink, and restore or add highlights by exposing the white paper beneath. Resting the tip of the bladeís cutting edge on on the point where I want to remove ink, I scrape the blade lightly from side to side. A few strokes are usually enough to expose clean paper. If more strokes are necessary, Iíll vary their angle so that the resulting abrasions to the paper arenít all parallel.

I consider this another relatively extreme option, and I donít resort to it often. But I know of ink artists who utilize this technique routinely and very effectively. The work of Richard J. H. Kennedy
( http://www.handskills-ken.co.uk ) is an impressive example.

© Mark Reep 2004
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 02:02 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
Re: Lightening and Removing Inked Passages

Wow, Mark. Thanks for the information. I am going to copy this out and put it in my book of little art wonders.........lol

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 02:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Excellent advice. I've rated this thread.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 04:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Mentor points for you, Mark!! Thanks for sharing with us!!

my website
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast
Powys, Wales

Hails from Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel-ink
Mentor points for you, Mark!! Thanks for sharing with us!!

Thanks for sharing and posting, must give it a go.

Take the time to reflect....as your latest would-be masterpiece lies in the bin.... art is not a matter of life and death..... it's much more serious than that!.
(acknowledgements to Bill Shankly)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 06:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Mark

Great advice, thanks a lot. I've saved it, now I'll have to study it!

Cheers

Progress not perfection
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2004, 04:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you so much Mark. Such wonderful advice and so many will benefit We appreciate you sharing your hard earned knowledge
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Sandpaper, hmmm. I'll have to try that.
Thanks.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix, Arizona

Hails from United States

Hey Markmeister....When's the book coming out...I'd buy it.

danny
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up Re: Lightening and Removing Inked Passages

GREAT advice (tips) Mark! THANKS!!!

Murray
---------------------

Last edited by artdude : 06-23-2004 at 01:11 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Northern Appalachia

Hails from United States

Thanks, guys!

Mark
www.newwings.50megs.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Mill SC

Hails from United States

Yes, great stuff mark, I vote mentor status as well.