Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to as What’s on Your Easel…February2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE February 2016…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!!:wave:
        [/SIZE]
        For a more complete critique post in the main forum…

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

lxnyc

Did some painting this weekend with my 12 year old daughter. It’s her second time using oil paint, and she loves it. I avoided giving her any pointers, just let her explore and have fun. She even set up the still life herself. Both are oil on board, 8×10

Visit my painting blog: alexbox.com
            See available paintings in my Etsy Shop

Danmasiz

Which one’s hers? :)

Really impressive for a 12yo and what a great thing to do together!

DebbieO

I haven’t painted in ages! I signed up for a workshop with Casey Baugh in March so I need more practice. Still rusty and too much lips I think :lol: I don’t mind the messiness though.

C&C always welcome!

Dan-007

Took a break from this…did a bit today. Will try and get it to look ok this week…

Dan-007

what is a good way to take a picture of a painting? it looks strange in that pic… like blurry and slightly out of proportion

mtpalms

Dan, it looks good to me. I don’t know how you take your photos, they always look okay. The most important thing for me is to use a tripod and set the shutter delay to 2 seconds. That eliminates any possibility of camera shake, especially in low light. If things are out of proportion, you may be too close to your subject, and/or not shooting straight on. The former might be warping the image, the latter might make it look skinny, or make the canvas slightly triangular on the top or bottom.

This one is nearly finished for hanging. All I am going to do today is sign it and paint the bottom edge of the canvas. I might add highlights to the lights and here and there, but it goes to the gallery saturday. When I get it back, I aim to do more with it. My luck, someone will buy it. :rolleyes:

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                                "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                                But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

Dan-007

Thanks for that… I should get a tripod. Also I shoot pictures with the painting leaning against the wall, that might be causing the proportion problem…

mtpalms

I take pics with the painting on my easel, and make it as vertical as possible. In fact, in the above, I had the canvas strapped to the easel mast using a velcro strap wrapped around the center brace. If you prefer to lean them against the wall, the tripod will probably also help with distortion, because you can angle it until it is squared with the painting, press the shutter and step back.

Even under daylight conditions, it is noticeable how much sharper a tripod held camera is than handheld.

AnnieA

lynyc, great that she is joining in with you. Yeah, which one is hers? :D

Debbie, great portrait! Nice job on skin tones. A quibble: I think the pink bands at top and bottom detract from the focus on the face. It doesn’t look messy to me at all! The dramatic lighting works really well.

Dan, your work is amazing! (as always!) That horse looks so real!

Marcia, terrific job on this painting! It looks just great – and it’s a fun piece too. Should go over very well at the show!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

mtpalms

Thanks Annie. :heart: It has been parked on the street in front of a local eatery for about a year now, so there will def be some stir. Hurray for artistic license, I put it in a more ‘natural’ habitat. :)

NancyMP

OOOooo, Marcia. There’s a sort of sinister look to the truck, as if it’s prepared for enemy fire. Maybe that’s why nobody’s messed with it for a year. I bet your painting does draw some attention!

This may be an accurate copy of it, but would you mind a bit of suggestion You’re an artist, not a camera, so you can make the left side of it not fade into the background with just a few finishing strokes. Maybe a touch of brilliant white on the left edge, and a slight darkening of the sand on the left to make it look dimensional?

Dan
                                                    , every time I see one of your paintings, I practically die with envy. Your horse is beautiful! I use a tripod as well for my camera, there’s no way I could ever keep my hands still enough to take a good pic. But I also cheat by having an old version of Photoshop 6. If the pic is off-center, I can easily correct it with Photoshop.

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                                    All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

AnnieA

[To Marcia]This may be an accurate copy of it, but would you mind a bit of suggestion You’re an artist, not a camera, so you can make the left side of it not fade into the background with just a few finishing strokes. Maybe a touch of brilliant white on the left edge, and a slight darkening of the sand on the left to make it look dimensional?

Nancy, could you explain what you said? I thought “lost edges” were typically applied to give a more painterly appearance, not less as you seem to be saying.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Flatty

my latest. just finished 12×14 oil on linen

mtpalms

This may be an accurate copy of it, but would you mind a bit of suggestion You’re an artist, not a camera, so you can make the left side of it not fade into the background with just a few finishing strokes. Maybe a touch of brilliant white on the left edge, and a slight darkening of the sand on the left to make it look dimensional?

Well, the left side is supposed to fade into the sand somewhat, as it is painted camouflage. However, adding highlights is one of the things I don’t think I will get to before taking it in afterall. The roof, engine compartment and fender on the left side are definitely on the highlights list when I get it back. The windows need to look a litle more opaque too. I like how the upper corner of the windshield on the driver’s side came out. I see so many things to do, that most people wouldn’t notice because they aren’t the artist. At least I have that going for me until I can work on it more.

Turns out, we are going to San Diego a day early and probably leaving at 6 or 7 ayem, so now I will have to drop the painting off before then, glad I got to this stage anyway.

Flatty, nice still life, those apples look perfectly delicious!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 87 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.