Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil discovering old pencils

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yogi_

Hello everyone,

First time poster but long time on / off lurker.

My family has small independent art store in Sydney, Australia and I’ve been helping out with some tidying in the recent months.

Recently, I’ve found two things that I thought would be of interest to you all.

I found one wooden box of Derwent Signature – 60 pencils. I believe discontinued some years ago now.

The other thing are a lot of old Prismacolors. I don’t know the exact history but I believe these may be earlier US manufactured ones.

Even an eaglecolor! These are most (if not all) of these older colors and have between a big handful and almost can’t hold them in two hands handful of each one.

Also of interest, is 5 packages (plus a few more not wrapped) of exactly the above.

While I did want to share my discoveries with you, I am not entirely sure what to do with it all – would welcome any ideas of someone/s who might really appreciate this.

You find strange stuff when you tidy up – masses of all sorts of papers, loads of Kol-i-noor graphite and earth chalk sticks in little red boxes and a kazillion small red erasers (the brand escapes me at the moment) and so on.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the pencil reminisce!

st3phaniex3

Lucky you!!! I would be crying happy tears and dancing all around if that were my find lol. You could keep them for yourself (you never know when they may come in handy) or maybe sell them (if you’re not interested in keeping them). You could probably even find a local art school or something and donate. Maybe do a contest and choose a winner?

Just throwing some ideas out there I’m not sure exactly what you would like to do with them either lol.

That box of derwents seems quite amazing. I’m now going to go do some research on them!! :)

[FONT="Verdana"]**Believe You Can & You Will**
            katwalk

The derwent pencils are discontinued, they were derwent attempt to create more colorfast pencils, but the are rather hard, and can be a bit scratchy to use, that plus the price meant they never caught on with colored pencil artists, I have some, and some of the colors are truly lovely, but they can be hard to use, and of course impossible to replace. That said they are very colorfast so I consider them sometimes worth the effort to use.

paulalee

what an exciting find! amazing.

Paula
                    I'm not bad, I was just drawn that way. ;)

ocmd123

Those old Prismas are the good ones! Hang on to those!

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                        Instagram

Save

Acker

I like using the Signature pencils on Art Spectrum. They do well on the sandpaper texture of Colourfix.

Phil

Interesting finds !!

Can you please let us know where the artshop is ?

I live in Sydney, and would be interested in knowing which shop this is.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/10-Oct-2007/118358-sig-PDGARTbanner.jpg

yogi_

Interesting finds !!

Can you please let us know where the artshop is ?

I live in Sydney, and would be interested in knowing which shop this is.

I will send you a PM with the name, as I don’t want to give the impression that I am advertising.

Ironically enough, the box of Signatures was sitting out somewhere the other day and a young man bought them as a present for someone, so alas they are no longer around. So, all we have now are the photos.

Phil

Many thanks for the info.

I am not sure why, but there aren’t any independant art shops in my area (Castle Hill) I usually travel to Hornsby where there is a nice little art shop, or there’s one in West Ryde.

It would be great if there was a full list of art shops somewhere on the site, (I would hope that it would not necessarily be deemed as advertising)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/10-Oct-2007/118358-sig-PDGARTbanner.jpg

Ambergris

I lucked into three different small lots of Signatures, one of which was thrown in as “some Derwent pencils” when I bought a box of stuff. A few of the pencils work okay, but the color seems gummy, not creamy/glidey. I was fiddling with two of them today and thinking that while I could get used to them, I’d probably do better passing them to someone who appreciates them.

HarvestMoon

Those Derwent sig pencils were pretty great! I need to go find mine now. As are the old Berols. They were made so much better than the modern ones, which pretty much drive me nuts with their snapping, off-centered leads. But unopened boxes, cool!

Harvest Moon 🐐

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.