Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    0paque

About two months ago I started on a mixed media piece I used acrylics in combination with encaustics. Well later I read that this shouldn’t be done due to the fact that acrylics are water based and wax isn’t:(. So far the painting is looking good though and I was wondering how long it would take for me to tell if they were going to mix poorly. Like I said that was about two months ago and the painting is still looking nice.

Oops first thread and I already messed up This is supposed to be in mixed media, sorry.

Cyndi L

So, did you apply the encaustics over top of the acrylics or the other way around? Or did you just sort of mix them together somehow? The general rule is that you can apply oil over water, but not water over oil, so the biggest problem will be if you painted with your acrylics over top of the wax…it may end up peeling off at some point. I’m not an expert on this by any means, so maybe one of our encaustic enthusiasts can give you some better advice!

Printmakerguy

The acrylic and encaustic won’t mix- Now, you MAY be able to use them together- Encaustic will probably stick to the acrylic, though I don’t know how well. I wouldn’t try putting acrylic on the encaustic, though the other way around might work. The bond between the two will never be that strong, I don’t think I’d trust it!

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

0paque

I put the acrylics over the encaustic mostly. I didn’t apply the acrylics very heavy though mostly just glazes, a lot of gel medium. Could I possibly use some sort of thick varnish to keep the acrylics from coming off?

Encaustic

I think the most important thing about putting acrylic over wax is to make sure that you polish the wax surface first. This should get rid of the “bloom” of poorly-adhered, lighter (in weight) components of the wax and give the acrylic the best chance of sticking.
                        It may seem strange to advise a shiny surface but I think that’s how it works best.:crossfingers:

As you only applied thin coverings of acrylic, you’re in with a better chance of it all staying together.

I would advise against adding any varnish as that would just add extra weight and inflexibility to the acrylic layer and do nothing to reinforce the encaustic/acrylic interface.

Barry the waxman.

http://www.encaustic.co.uk
                        0paque

OK, ty I guess ill just have to see how this painting does and maybe experiment a bit in the future.

wax over acrylic leads to cracking and peeling down the road ditto for acrylic over wax.

Angie1973

Opaque,
                                There are encaustic artists who swear NEVER to use acrylics with beeswax. There are others (like me) who use Cyndi L’s guide of oil on acrylic rule.

I have a few pieces that are encaustic on acrylic medium that although a few months old seem to be doing just fine. For more techniques, I recommend the book Encaustic Workshop by Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch. Many of the encaustics featured in my blog are based on techniques from her book. The best part of the book is that she uses different items very creatively.

Hope this helps!

[FONT=Arial] :angel:

[FONT=Arial]Angeline Marie of Angeline Marie Fine Art and angeline-marie.blogspot.com

Dahzl

wax over acrylic leads to cracking and peeling down the road ditto for acrylic over wax.

Just barging in here – haven’t posted in here for a few years – but read this and thought I would tell you that I did some encaustic work over acrylic paint back in 1998- one of my pieces sits in my room and it has not cracked – in fact it still looks fine- so I am presuming that it is still archival after 10 years and will survive for many many more decades to come. I live in Western Australia – the thing has survived in our heatwave Summers of over 40 degrees and below zero winter nights – cold for me. I used a marine ply wood support with a gesso coating, acrylic paint and beeswax. I have also used wax crayons and oil crayons to colour the beeswax in some experimental pieces and they are still surviving beautifully too.

Anyway just thought I would share my results so far…..

Cheers Dahzl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.