WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

Computer question

I replaced the hard drive in my computer. Re-installed all the programs, etc. Everything works great.

I noticed that I often can't view sites that contain Flash. Whenever the prompt comes up "Click here to install the latest version of Adobe Flash", I click on it....but it won't install. The setup starts, then tells me that I don't have enough space on my hard drive to install the program.

At first this confused me, as it was a brand new hard drive with plenty of space. After searching around online, I found that this is a common problem...

...seems that often, when a hard drive is replaced, for some reason it changes the name to "I" instead of "C". Well, when you try to install Adobe Flash, it says you don't have enough space on "C"...because there isn't a "C" drive.

Everything else has pretty much worked fine...I think Flash, and something else I can't remember, are the only things I haven't been able to install. It is starting to get annoying to not be able to see Flash sites, though.

I don't know why my drive is now named "I", since it's in the exact same spot the old drive was in. Like I said, pretty much everything else is normal. This was unexpected, and if anyone is familiar with this/has a workaround, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

(I just noticed that I am also unable to install a scanner/printer, due to the same problem. Irritating.)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Computer question

You haven't specified the operating system you're working off of, but I'm assuming it's a flavor of Windows. The following link should help:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...e_a_drive.html

Good luck.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM

Is this Windows? I had this problem once before with a new computer I was building, and the computer had several ports for memory cards, camera cards, etc. (I'm talking about compact flash, SD, and other memory cards, not USB "thumb" drives.) When the computer started up, even before installing Windows, it assigned drive letters to each of these memory card reader slots, so that when it became time to install windows, drives C, D, E, and F were taken, and Windows went to install on drive G. I knew this would be a problem, so I stopped the installation.

To fix this conflict, I booted into the computer BIOS first, and disabled the USB connections that supported the card readers. Then I installed Windows, and it correctly installed onto drive C (and the CD rom became drive D). After the installation was successful, I rebooted again into the BIOS, and reenabled the USB connections for the card readers. The card readers now initialized properly to drives E, F, etc. leaving Windows safely on drive C.

On your system, what are the devices for drives C-H? Are they card readers or other types of pseudo drives? If so then you might be able to use this same technique.

I'm afraid there is no easy repair method for fixing this. Once you have Windows installed, many references to the windows system drive get hardcoded into registry entries, config files, etc. Even if you used a disk utility to rename the drive from I: to C:, all of those other references will still point to I:, and will now fail. The solution is another drive reformat, and then reinstall, following the steps I described above or something similar.

-- Paul
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Enthusiast

Oops, sorry. It's XP Pro.

I have read a bit about changing the drive letter, but it always seems to imply that that will mess everything up...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmcg
...all of those other references will still point to I:, and will now fail...

This is kinda what I figured.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Cody, WY

Hails from United States

Although you can't reletter your drive, you can probably trick it by creating a drive alias. That way everytime something looks at C:/ it will actually look at I:/. To do this:

1) Open up your command prompt.
2) Type "subst c: i:\"

*crosses fingers*
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for that idea. I actually had read to try that (searching around online), and it doesn't seem to work for me. Seems like a lot of people have used that as a solution.

Just to make sure I'm doing it correctly.....it's Start > Run > subst c: i:\ > Enter.....right?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Cody, WY

Hails from United States

Ya that should be it. Does a c drive show up under mycomputer? If it works, then a C drive should show up that looks exactly like your I drive.

If it doesn't work, I would try running "cmd" and then enter the subst command in the command prompt. That way, if it comes back with some sort of error, you can see what it is.