WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada
Re: Parrot- WIP

Those feathers are so awesome, I have been doing the search for the last couple of days trying to find the perfect reference and get permission to use photos yada yada not a problem for you Cathy as you are your own Fab Photographer! Anyway what I was eventually going to get at is that I found a great photo of a Juvenile Vulture that will be an awesome scratch. Think I'll wait on that one though, till your parrot is done and on about page 4. No sense embarrassing myself!!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Beautiful work as always Cathy!!!!

LMAO @ Pam!!!!!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

Well I was eager to start the color...so decided to jump right into that!!

So far pretty happy...though colors are not quite as vibrant as in the original ref photo even after several layers of color and scratching.

Pam... even though I probably have over 200,000 photos on my computer I still often can't find a shot within my own stuff that strikes my fancy... maybe just because they are mine! I have a WHOLE folder of art references that I have gotten permission to use from other photographers... This photo came from Stock Exchange and the next one I have planned is from Flickr... so it just goes to show no matter how many photos you may have... grass is always greener behind the other guys lens

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Looks Great Cathy!!!!

I can hear what your saying about the brightness.

I think that when I jump into the color arena I'm gonna try using Doc Martins Inks. Whenever I have used them in the past they been MUCH brighter than nearly any other Brand. I have no idea if it'll gum up the board but I AM gonna give it a Whirl.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crias
grass is always greener behind the other guys lens
I guess thats true!
I have to ask this...How when your on fliker so you get ahold of the photographer I can't ever find an email address for them. although I don't have an account there... do you get their emails with an account or do you just post on the page asking them on that public forum. I have been just approaching people who have web albums, blogs or web sites. I'm not really sure either as to how word my queries or what I should add in the request... maybe thats why I don't get many replies! would it be too much to ask you to give some pointers! If your too busy now thats fine maybe in future?
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

OMG I just saw your added color!!!! AMAZZZZING
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Lord of the Arts
In Ville-billy Land!

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelalbd
I guess thats true!
I have to ask this...How when your on fliker so you get ahold of the photographer I can't ever find an email address for them. although I don't have an account there... do you get their emails with an account or do you just post on the page asking them on that public forum. I have been just approaching people who have web albums, blogs or web sites. I'm not really sure either as to how word my queries or what I should add in the request... maybe thats why I don't get many replies! would it be too much to ask you to give some pointers! If your too busy now thats fine maybe in future?

Yeah what she said.....
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

[QUOTE

LMAO @ Pam!!!!![/quote]

OK I GIVE...... what does that mean? My girls are at work they usually translate these things for me!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Resting in Peace
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States

Beautiful job! When you color over black (the black left on the board after you scratched) it tends to mute the colors somewhat. This could work to your advantage in setting a mood for your piece, but if you want very vibrant color it is best to start with a white board or to clear the feathers you want to stand out the most like you did the beak. I think this is looking great and I love your choice of colors!

Diana

[email protected] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

A couple of different ways... I don't know a way to e-mail people from flickr, but there is a free membership and then you can access their profiles and send them flickr mail (sort of like WC PM system) and ask them that way. I get about 40% that will give permission, 10% that want to be paid something for use of the image, and 50% that I don't hear back from within standard photos on flickr.

As an alternate, now I do a lot of looking at creative commons photos... so when you do a search if you go into the advanced search feature (little link next to the search box) and scroll about 3/4 down there is a section that says search creative commons photos only... check that and the next two boxes too. I want the rights to sell my work, so that is to use it commercially, and the last box says to modify and change...well art is modifying from the original image...

Anyways...that will bring up all the CC photos that can be modified and you can sell the work...

Under those images most of them you will be able to choose a size (click on all sizes above the photo) and most have larger original files that can be downloaded. At the very bottom you will see where it says some rights reserved and usually it is a circle with the word 'by' in it... which means that if you use the photo you need to credit the photographer, but otherwise the photo is free to use. Also if you move your mouse over the circle it tells you what it means or you can click it for more details. Some require share alike, which I don't use without getting written permission first, as I am not going to share my artwork freely.

Also usually if I find a photo I really like I will search the photographers photo stream, as usually all of their photos will be under CC license and I may find more that I like that way too.

If I for sure decide to use a photo I will send them a PM and double check before I use it, as I prefer to get permission in writing on the off chance that they change the permissions at a later date. Also if a photographer has some photos listed as CC, but I find one I like that isn't listed that way usually they will give permission if you ask.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

Cathy,

The feathers look fabulous. It looks like you used irridesent or metallic colors. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Immortalized
Lakeland, Florida

Hails from United States

Very nice work on the color. This is going to be another winner. Your information on reference material is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. Rick
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Cathy, the brightness is all down to personal taste. I think you can see with my colour work that I tend to keep things a bit muted, earthy so to speak. What you've done so far is what I love. I sometimes think some people go too bright and it doesn't look real. That's fine if 'real' isn't the goal, but with me it is. And even if a photo is bright, I find that it doesn't always translate that well when the same brightness is added to art. I don't know if that makes sense or if you relate at all but it's the way I see it.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I love the colour!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Quebec, Canada

Hails from Canada

I gotta tell you, I absolutely love the colors you've used!!!!