WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Reference Image Library Requests and Support
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Lightbulb How's about Publishing a Book

Hey WetCanvas, I think the amout of resources you have of copyright free images is fantastic, and all the wonderfull members who are kind enough to share.

For some time now, I have been on the prowl for a book of reference photos as a resource, and haven't found such thing exists. There are so many artists out there who would like reference photos to work from, as you have found with providing a Reference Image Library category.

It would be nice to have either;
* A single book with an assortment of various images from landscapes, seascapes, still life, nude models, animals, buildings, objects etc etc.

or

*A series of books devoted to each category as mentioned above e.g. reference images for still lifes, reference images for animals etc etc.

Is there a possibility that Wet Canvas could provide this need in a book format -the images need not be any bigger than a regular 6x4 " photo (15x10cm).

What to other members think?

Cheers Chrissy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: How's about Publishing a Book

With online pics you've got a much better solution. You can zoom your reference, search easily for your criteria, have a new choice of pics everyday, an ever growing collection - and all for free. So why spend money on something inferior?

Salad
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Who would buy it?
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
With online pics you've got a much better solution. You can zoom your reference, search easily for your criteria, have a new choice of pics everyday, an ever growing collection - and all for free. So why spend money on something inferior?

Salad

I understand your point of view Salad and do agree with your point of the flexibility and easy access of the computer/internet with manipulating the
photos. It is not that having a book is interior, it is just a different resource.

My point is that sometimes having a hard copy of reference photos is good and handy to have.

Quote:
Who would buy it?
by Lady Carol

For people who don't readily have access to a computer and the internet, it could be in the local libraries.
If you were a teacher and were not able to project the images through a computer for the students, or they were not able to print them out, a book would allow photocopying.
If you did workshops, you would more than likely not have a computer to access, and for your students to access a book full of reference images then and there would be handy.

As for the constant updating of images, well how many pictures of cows, or shells, or bridges, or birds etc do you need for reference? How about a CD version than, as there is so many (over 70,000) images to work through.

I still buy books. I would be someone who would buy it, as I have been wanting something like this for a while. Books aren't dead yet!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Burlington, IA.

Hails from United States

I don't think I would be posting my photos if I though someone was publishing them and making money from them. If anyone was to make money from my photos it should be me. I did the work to create them. It was my money that bought the camera, the lens, the memory card. I bought the computer, the card reader and software to process everything and so on and so on.
I don't mind other people using them as reference material and making there own interpretations of them because it will become there own work. But to take what I have done (the photograph) and put it in a book with out my name on it and the money going in to my pocket would feel like I had been stolen from.
I suggest you get a camera and all that goes with it and create your own book and sell it to the artists that want to buy it.
Boy, I just read through this post and it seems to come off pretty harsh, but I don't mean to be. It is just that what you are suggesting seems very wrong to me.
Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

The images from the book would not be taken without permission obviously, and of course there would be more involved with negotiation if the IDEA was to go ahead.

It would be a voluntary donation like it is already here on the WetCanvas website.

PaulaIA you write as if your very protective of your property and therefore you would not be obliged to share. And that is fine. We are all artists who want to make money from our own work. It is not about not giving the willing parties credit. It would be good exposure and if given the details of their website/email, maybe the artists could receive sales from such exposure.

I have brought my own expensive DSLR camera and so on, however I am not a photographer and don't claim to be, and I would not have any problems sharing my photos as I dont put that monetary value on them.

This suggestion is no more wrong than what is already present and happening on WetCanvas. If a book was to go ahead, the photographer could be credited and all that goes along with it. Copyright issues could be stated in the book etc. I believe there is more risk of people 'stealing' other peoples artistic work because of the readily access of the internet and websites provided, such as Flickr, blogs, personal websites, other photo facilities.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Germany

Hails from Germany

You're talking about pics in a book the size of app. 10 cm * 15 cm. And I'd say that's definitely too small for a reference. For me it would be. Besides, printing in good quality in an appropiate size (at least 20 * 15 cm, half an A4 page, if you ask me) costs a lot of money. And you'd have to charge even more. I've got two reference books I want to sell. They contain people in lots of poses, photographed in various angles. I bought them once upon a time for 10 DM (ca. 5 € now). Go imagine...

Salad
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

The images in the RIL are provided for others to use for artwork, to use part or the whole of an image from which to create a new piece.
They have not been provided for the use of photos in reproduction and so the copyright, which still belongs to the original providers of the images, would be breached.

If an individual wanted to provide a resource book from their own images that would be fine - but this RIL resource should, I feel, remain as an on-line resource only.

The vast majority of schools and learning establishments have access to the Internet these days and using the RIL on-line is a lot cheaper than buying Resource books for the School Libraries - many can access the Internet - easier than sharing a book!

The site owners are Publishers and I should have thought it would be up to them to view any legal aspects of what you're suggesting, and if it were possible, they'd produce a hard copy themselves.

Can't see it happening though - too many photographers would say 'No!'

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 AM
A Local Legend
India

Hails from United Nations

Chrissy, I think it's a good idea to have a pocket reference book... I'm right now struggling with massive powercuts that will not allow me to use the computer where I have all my recent holiday pics stored. And my printer's not working.

However, I don't think it would be a viable business proposition to bring out such a book, because there'll just be too few takers. When people can anyway access images for free, and without even acknowledging it, as has happened to some of my images here, why will they want to buy a book? That would mean a) shelling out money, and b) having the provenance of their image out in the open, it being far easier to hide the origins of an image taken from the web than from a book.

That said, if anyone wants to sell my images in a book, they can do so for free, so long as I'm given credit for the photograph. As an amateur photographer, it's the acknowledgement that matters to me, and the feeling that my image has been the inspiration for someone's art.

(The best thing to do would be to simply print out what's already here, don't you think, Chrissy? )
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Quote:
For people who don't readily have access to a computer and the internet, it could be in the local libraries.
Libraries will eventually be a thing of the past and books will be collected as curiosities. More books are published electronically than are published in print these days.

Quote:
How about a CD version than, as there is so many (over 70,000) images to work through.
Why buy a CD version when you can go to the internet and view them all on WetCanvas for free? Buying a CD means that you have a computer. Having a computer in 99% of cases means that you have internet access.

Quote:
I still buy books. I would be someone who would buy it, as I have been wanting something like this for a while. Books aren't dead yet!
I still buy books too and am very passionate about the tactile feel. There is nothing like holding a book propped up in bed and reading it. But what you are suggesting is very tiny images. And what image appeals to one will not appeal to another. Thus the opportunity of browsing 70,000+ images on line to find that perfect image that inspires would be lost. You said you have been wanting something like this for a while, well here it is
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Germany

Hails from Germany

I think one could say it is a nice idea, but not for the RIL and not for now.

Salad