WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
36 x 48 "

I'm trying to find a good 'something' to put on a 36 x 48 stretched canvas ... the more i think about it the more i think i'd be nuts to do this comp that big, so i think a 16 x 20 will do it for this idea ... question is, either size, how much of the tuna should remain in the comp?

i think the second is not as good a comp because the dorsal fin distracts with it's tallness, please advise? thanks much

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: 36 x 48 "

dang...I recently took a similar size...30"x 48" canvas outdoors, set it up on an easel...and painted from life. My first truly large plein air outdoors, painted in 3-1/2 hours...

Took me a good couple days to build my own gallery wrap stretcher frames, canvas it...gesso and treat, and doing all that I'm not afraid to paint on it, but the work and prep alone seems to call for something very worth the while to paint on it...

Here's a link to the thread of my painting on that canvas-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495553

To be perfectly honest...I don't see a lot of intrigue or visual excitement in what you have in mind here.

Okay...its your painting, and I perfectly recognize that...but not enough content and intrigue to ennoble the effort I think.

Having said that...opinions are a bit like armpits. Everyone has at least two of them, and most stink. Feel free to quickly dismiss mine as a opinion you can do without...

good luck...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Silver Spring, MD

I like the second one better. I think the dorsal fin is needed to balance the seahorse and pull our eyes back and forth across the composition. But I'd move the seahorse to the left and then down a little so it's kind of nestled inside the top of the tail fin. That way it isn't so close to the edge that it pulls our eyes into the corner and then right off the edge of the painting. That would also make the composition appear more stable, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're going after.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Thanks Larry, it's a little illustrative i'n it ... i was in a bit of a comedic mood, going for humor with the seahorses 'hair' blowing in the 'wind' ... there will be background included (water/greenery) to add interest, which i failed to include because the fish comp was most under debate in my head.
(Nice scene on your 1st Large - good job!)

bobc100, Thanks much, that's the debate i was having with myself ... you figure the dorsal fin would keep the viewer in the painting longer eh ... interesting ... my fear with that was the ping pong effect of too much bouncing back and forth visually ... i wondered too about the seahorse at the edge ... i like the height of him there , but not so much the close edge either ... am now considering including the whole fish and integrating them both more serenely in the background (vs more a high speed comedic routine) ... thoughts? should i fully center the two horizontally? or leave a bit of extra space on the left? will keep them in the lower third vertically i think, as i want them in deep waters with no ground showing

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Pa

Hails from United States

there are def. some issues in the comp. mainly that the upper right hand side is so weighted whereas nothing is balancing the left side. all your elements are pointing right to the sea horse. the placement of the horse and the tunas tail and the proximity to the edge is a concern. i would suggest working on the left hand side, it may free things up. you say you may include a background. that will probably help a lot. but it would be good practice to organize your comp effectively first without it, to get a "feel" for comp. just some suggestions.