WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

Need advice - archival adhesive that won't bleed?

Hi,

Not sure how to explain this, but I have these drawings that are made of lots of little drawings on many pieces of paper. Like a puzzle--when all the pieces of paper are put together, you have the image.

What I did not forsee was the obvious--each individual piece is totally curled up; won't stay flat. I wanted to put these all together and mount them on a board for framing. Normally, for something collage-like, I would use acrylic medium as an adhesive. Unfortunately this won't work, because I tested it out, and anything wet, like acrylic medium or glue, bleeds through to the front. With all this white paper, the adhesive bleeding through won't work.

Wasn't sure where to post this, since it's actually a drawing. But since it's a drawing made of many pieces (of curled paper), I figured it was sort of like a collage, and that this might be the place to ask.

A reputable frame shop recommended that I use a spray adhesive, and insisted that it wouldn't bleed through. However, I just don't know if I trust spray adhesive. Even if there's an archival brand.....that stuff just doesn't seem reliable.

Anyway, any ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Need advice - archival adhesive that won't bleed?

I do believe a spray adhesive would do the trick but would it stick enough without getting to much under each piece? I'm sure there must be an archival type for this at the art store or if you look through Dick Blick online. Hope this helps!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Maybe you could spray a fixative on each piece before attempting to adhere in place. I've never had a trouble with spray adhesives, but I don't use them that often. Mostly I do use acrylic mediums, but after spraying on an acrylic fixative.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
california

Hails from United States

I have recently started using Sobo glue which is liquid to put together pieces of paper. I make folded books and attach the cover this way. I have not had any problems with the glue bleeding through or curling on the pieces. But, it may depend on how thick your paper is. Try it on a small piece that is not important before using on an important or large piece. I have found that spray adhesive does not seem to last a long time.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts, on the Atlantic Ocean

Hails from United States

Per Peter Madden, a world-renowned book artist, Elmer's glue is archival. We printmakers also use wallpaper wheat paste (you can find it at hardware stores, the kind that is dry powder and not pre-mixed).

Ron Pokrasso, another printmaker also uses spray adhesives and stick glue. Don't know if these are archival as he is not that concerned with that, but you can possibly find info on line.

If yhou use Sobo or Elmer's you have to put some on then scrape most of it away with a credit card type of scraper. I never had problems with them bleeding through but perhaps my paper was thicker.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah...this is pretty thin drawing paper; the kind from a pad.

Scraping the excess away with a credit card is a good idea; i wouldn't have thought of that.

I will have to look into the Sobo glue and the wheat paste. I did have a feeling that spray adhesive might not last long.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM
california

Hails from United States

I have had problems with the Elmer's glue bleeding through the paper. I guess I am not as neat as I should be.