WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: By the Fireside, August 2-9, 2007

How can ye stand being in London once ye been out to the southwest...
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Well now - I could start by listing the art galleries and exhibitions I get to see! I like travelling and seeing lots of different places - they all have their pros and cons I find.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonni
I agree with Mikki--as long as you don't put the subject in a vase on a table, in a room in a high rise in a city.
... unless, of course, we have a glimpse of the Golden Gate out the window Just kidding! Seriously, last I heard California, desert and ocean, were in the West, as is the Great Northwest. It's the spirit of it that counts...

Welcome, Dayle Ann... I also have that 'don't live there but it's in my soul', too. Sorry to hear about the lyme... but glad it's got you doing more art.

Katherine... Nice to see you over here. You'll have to post your cacti!

Diane
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikki Petersen
Wow, Sonni! I would not call that a study. It's a beautiful painting.

Mikki

Well, thanks Mikki. The truth is that it is articulated to death without particular concern for composition. I wanted to draw/paint palms. Stubbornly.

Glad to see more folks popping in. Also having a place to discuss well-known (and not so known) SW artists work would be nice. A few of my favorites: Howard Terpning, Olaf Wieghorst, Harley Brown, Albert Handel, Lorenzo Chavez, John Nieto, Malcom Furlow...a strange mix of bed fellows.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sonni... We are still such a new forum that we are game for anything. Feel free to start up those types of discussion threads... It would be lovely to have that kind back and forth here.

Diane
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho

Hails from United States

What a great group.... I feel at home already. Also just got my Medicare card (you do the math ). Born in Idaho but moved to California when I was 6. Except for a couple of years out of state have lived here all my life. Grew up in Northern California not too far from Sacramento... have lived in Eureka and now call Los Angeles home. Paint plein air when I can... beaches, California hills but not palms.... they are too HARD The Southwest ROCKS!

Dee
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 06:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

What I've been noticing so far that is really neat is that I am seeing people who live in my area answering this thread. I didn't know there were so many so-Californians here.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Diane, Unless you slipped back in time to the early 1900s and before, I don't think the mega cities of San Franciso (where I lived for years). Los Angeles (where I visit once and awhile because it takes nearly a year to get in and out), or even San Diego are very western. They have everything Chicago, New York and Detroit have--too many cars, smog, crime, high fashion, high culture (and low), high-priced yuppy restaurants (albeit very good cuisine), and bars with drinks priced over $10 a pop. The saving grace is that between these coastal megopolis' are rural towns that have never caught up--Like Albion, Mendocino, Bodego Bay, Cambria... There are many others, all worth painting, but I'm not giving out any more names. Not me.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonni
Diane, Unless you slipped back in time to the early 1900s and before, I don't think the mega cities of San Franciso (where I lived for years). Los Angeles (where I visit once and awhile because it takes nearly a year to get in and out), or even San Diego are very western.
Yeah, I'm probably dating myself terribly. Even when I was a little girl, a visit to the city (San Francisco) definitely meant dress-up clothes... not any more though!

Diane
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Wow! What a great forum! It's nice to "meet" all you folks and to see your wonderful work. It's inspiring me to jump back in to doing some SW stuff again. But this is my introduction- I usually hang out in the printmaking forum because lately I've been doing mostly woodcuts, but I also lurk heavily in plein air and landscape. I've lived in lots of different places: New Hampshire (now), Boston, NYC, London, Seward Alaska, Mississippi, Virginia, New Jersey and have traveled a bit: Canada, France, Italy, Minnesota, Maine, Florida, Nevada, but New Mexico is my ABSOLUTE favorite! I fell madly in love with it on a cross-country trip about 20 years ago and have been subscribing to NM Magazine ever since. A couple of years after that trip I went to Ghost Ranch with a bunch of painting buddies and learned that pastel is THE medium (for me, at least) to paint the desert. It's almost like painting with the earth itself. So, I've really been enjoying the work, esp the pastels. Great stuff! My sister-in-law lives in Truth or Consequences NM, so we get to go out every once in awhile, but haven't since I took early retirement a couple of years ago. I still work part time (like 2-3 days a month) for my former employer to keep the left side of my brain functioning (I, too, recently got a Medicaid card, so, see, Diane, I AM way older than you are!), but mostly I paint and make woodcuts. I plan to dig up some of my old SW stuff to post here, but I'll probably have some new things soon. I have about a million photos to work from; not as good as being there, but better than nothing! So, thank you, thank you, thank you, to all the people that got this forum started! I hope/plan to be an active member.
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
I'm 50+, live in London and last summer I travelled about 3,000 miles around the southwestern states (California, Arizona and new Mexico) and got an insight into the way of life way out west.

Katherine, nice to see you here. Hope to see those cacti soon. I know you will be posting in the new floral forum.

See ya,
Jo
Winston Churchill
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Cutter
Jo... It sounds like you've lived overseas like I did! We'll have to sit in a quiet corner sometime and swap experiences...
Diane

That sounds wonderful. Oh the stories, right? We have been on the road a few days, so will catch up and e-mail you.

Jo
Winston Churchill
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Castillo
Katherine, nice to see you here. Hope to see those cacti soon. I know you will be posting in the new floral forum.

See ya,
Jo
Hi Jo - nice to see you too! I'm going to be posting them one by one - after all they'll be coming out west themselves sometime soon!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Millet, AB

Hails from Canada

Hi. I am from Alberta, Canada and have lived here all my life. I took a few art courses in University, back when abstract was the only art form that was acceptable. Now I am trying to build my drawing skills, and I am learning to paint with watercolors and with water-based oils. I have been posting in the animal and wildlife forum a bit.

The south eastern Alberta landscape is similar to the southwest US (hoodoos, deserts, cactus and rattlers), and also has the rocky mountains, so there is lots of inspiration everywhere. I am looking forward to learning and sharing here.

Susan
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Newcastle, OK

Hails from United States

Hello to all. I thought I'd stop in to explain why I haven't been here for a few days, especially after crying so loudly for this forum to get going.

I've been overwhelmed with the loss of my father on Sunday. It was totally unexpected and we are all in shock. My mother passed away only 5 months ago (age 71) and my father was doing really good under the circumstances. He was in excellent health, we thought, so it was quite a shock when my husband and I found him on Sunday morning after the neighbors called because he hadn't picked up his paper that morning. He was only 74, walked 5 miles everyday, and was an internationally known wood-turning artist. He bought me my first set of oil paints and was extremely supportive of my art. Needless to say, my family and I are completely grief stricken. I'm sure it will be a while before I get back to my artwork.

Anyhow, thought I'd share what's going on and why I'll be away for a while.

Later. . .

http://www.purpleprairieart.com